PDA

View Full Version : Watchers' Rocks

Rochnan
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Hello mattepainters!
This painting is...wait, wait. This is my first post here, so let me introduce myself first.
I'm Rochnan, an illustrator from the Netherlands. I would like to make a switch to mattepainter someday. But so far, there's no real demand here, so I'm practicing to become good enough to work abroad.

Okay, enough introducing, on to the picture!
I'm willing to call this one done. But I think it's not very interesting to look at yet. I've tried putting houses and trees on the rocks, and making the rocks really big statues. But those feeled like slightly lesser cliché than the 'castle in the hills' and 'ruined building' (no offense intended to anyone).
I also intended to expand the clouds, but didn't because I liked them the way they're now. Stylized.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/Anonieme_tekenaar/Watchersrocks.jpg
The second picture comes from cgtextures.org, the third is my own photography. The rest is drawn.
Thanks for reading this wordy post.

nickmarshallvfx
08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forums! Nice painting you have here. Simple stuff but done well by the looks of things, which is better than something really difficult done badly in my book.
Look forward to seeing more work from you. Work on the composition for your next piece and maybe do some thumbnail ideation before going onto the matte so that you aren't restricted by your photo refs and are creating what you actually want.

Cool stuff, keep it up

Nick

Rochnan
08-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Thanks!
For this piece, the phrase "Ooh shiny, let's see what I can do with that" is used alarmingly regularly.
I promise that next time, I will go through the usual thumbnails-feedback-rough-feedback-finished-praise(hopefully) way.

kay2
08-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Nice. But the light for me strange.
Keep it up!

Marzi
08-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Nice! maybe juste to much blue in the middle i think.. Try to balance it :)

Madster
08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
The overall composition of this is just too weird for the eye.

You have a large swath of empty sky on top, but you've cut the bottom off very close to where the rocks start. There is no ground, no surroundings, no foundation for those rocks. They are just in your face, with distance and perspective a tenuous guess, at best.

This throws off your balance, your flow, your unity, everything. As the other comments demonstrate, it just does not visually satisfy.

~M

Rochnan
08-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks Kay2, Marzi, Madster. I made some changes.

First the light. From the rocks, I get the feeling the light source would be near the left border of the picture, and the clouds didn't really reflect that, so I made some changes there.
The rock-cloud interaction is also why the perspective seems to agree a little too much with the theory that space is all wobbly.
I tried to fix that and the light in one go, by making the clouds more visibly lean back. I had a bit trouble there.

Next is the horizon. As the original photo of the rocks show, the horizon is under the base of the rocks. In my picture, that would also be under the bottom of the picture. I adjusted the middle rock in an attempt to enhacne the feeling of the viewer looking up (along with the color).

Special attention to the word 'attempt'. I believe all of this could have been more easily avoided by simply replacing the background sky. But I'm not entirely sure I want that. I will take responsibility for consciously being stubborn. :-P

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/Anonieme_tekenaar/WR2.jpg

chrike
08-19-2008, 02:24 PM
nice work here!
as suggested you should really put the horizon line back in.
or in your case simply put in some ground at the very bottom edge of the frame.
this will make the composition more pleasing and readable instantly.
the thing is that you and we know where the horizon line was originally, hence it's not that visually confusing. but ppl who take a look at that for the first time, without knowing the original reference, can clearly feel the lack of the base for the whole scenery.
on a side note: I'd not take images from cgtextures.com in their original state. I mean it's just my personal opinion, but I've seen a couple of mattes with these very rocks and it really destroys the illusion straight from the start.

anyways, keep it up! curious to check out ur progress.