PDA

View Full Version : Castle in the distance

graphmac
08-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Here is an old photo that I added some farm houses and a castle into.
Just an extension and some painted extras done at home on the old PC.
No reason, just felt like it - a nice change from concept art.
Hope it looks OK on my nicer work monitors!?

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/226/3/3/Landscape_Matte_by_graphmac.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/226/e/5/Landscape_Matte_Edit_by_graphmac.jpg

OK, some of the side edges are a little blurry, but I have a sore neck and the idea was to lead your eye toward the castle!

Madster
08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
You've increased the contrast too much across the board. The LH side shadows are now so dark, they have become a dominant visual element, dragging the eye over to the lower LH corner, and away from your castle, rather than towards it...

In a related issue, you've lost some of the fog, with the remainder looking too splotchy and misplaced, when compared to the over-enhanced lower section of the image.

~M

graphmac
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I'll take a look at it on my work screen on Monday,
then I can sort out values and work out the splotchy fog!
Especially on the left.
My current monitor is a muddy old TFT so all the values look roughly the same.
It does look 20% darker in my browser than in Photoshop, weird perhaps I should not work in proof CMYK all the time.
Thanks for the input!

Neyven
08-14-2008, 08:18 AM
the little hill kinda looks like a hobbit house :p all it needs is a door and a little fence with flowers :D

good luck on the office pc, looking forward to the result

mrMSK
08-17-2008, 10:51 PM
very cool, ive tryed to sqint at my own little distant castle, it does hurt your neck! But great work, the added village works seamlessly, but i would desat the castle so it fits size wise with it alittle into the environment fog/mist. more god rays, gotta have god rays! keep up the good work dude!

graphmac
08-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Yes, the image does look far too dark in work! Especially in the left.

I agree the castle needs to be pushed back a little more, and more details are needed pretty much all over. Perhaps some God rays are in order, I'll see if I don't mess it up.

Thanks for the great replies so far.