PDA

View Full Version : Albert Whitlock DVD

stix
11-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Was searching on the internet and this appeared :

www.firstlightvideo.com/Film_Video_TV_Production.html (http://www.firstlightvideo.com/Film_Video_TV_Production.html)

Albert Whitlock: A Master of Illusion - DVD F1159DVD $79.95

smooth
11-02-2005, 08:29 AM
$80 for a 30 min dvd...wow. looks interesting but pretty expensive.
All thier dvd's are priced pretty high, but I haven't seen any dvd's on these subjects from any other company.
Does anyone in the film biz know these training dvd's?

+smooth+

rrische
11-02-2005, 12:37 PM
This isn't a training DVD, it's a 30 minute documentary
on Whitlock's career. It gives a nice overview of matte
painting and looks at Whitlock's work on Hitchcock's films,
"Earthquake", "The Hindenburg", and goes in depth to
show him painting the mattes for "History of the World Part 1".
It's a cool film. I used to have it on VHS, but it got stolen.
Nice to know it's still available. I'd recommend it to anyone
who is interested in matte painting.

I haven't seen any of the other stuff they have.

dylan
11-02-2005, 01:23 PM
oh hell yes!!!!
I must own this now!
Thanks for the link.

dstipes
11-02-2005, 01:25 PM
This documentary also shows Al Whitlock and Syd Dutton setting up an original negative matte shot from "History of the World Pt I". Not many new matte artists would have ever seen this technique in the field.

Also shows some of Al's studio at Universal with easels and cameras.

Again, as Rick said, this is not a "how-to" tape.

David

smooth
11-02-2005, 01:48 PM
oh hell yes!!!!
I must own this now!
Thanks for the link.

LOL. Nice...Dylan after you see it, come back and give us a review!
A little too steep at the moment, But I'll keep it in mind for later purchase.

+smooth+

RobbyS
11-02-2005, 02:14 PM
...I'm waiting for dylans review...

dstipes
11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
This DVD is discussed on stopmotionanimation.com. The thread link is:

http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/d ... =581&page= (http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=581&mesg_id=581&page=)

David

Gary Wino Smokes
11-03-2005, 05:49 PM
A number of years ago, I had to the opportunity to see this Docu. And as a matte painter, you should see it for yourself. It is a history lesson and pretty incredible.

It reveals more about movie making than you can learn from watching a demo of someone using Photoshop, regardless of cost v. length. You can't quantify knowledge.

Those who haven't seen this and whom aspire to create mattes should witness the craft first hand as it used to be done by THE master of his day.

regards,

Gary

tesmeralda
11-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Those who haven't seen this and whom aspire to create mattes should witness the craft first hand as it used to be done by THE master of his day.

regards,

Gary

Wow! You actually DO care Jo . . . oops . . . I mean, "Gary" . . .
Maybe it was Syd's visit last week (which I'm sorry I missed), or some other inspiration, but regardless it's nice to hear your enthusiasm!

Of course, you are no slouch yourself you matte painter, you!!

-T

rrische
11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Gary, put out that cigarette. What are you tryin to do, make me sick?

Gary Wino Smokes
11-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Rick I think I remember stealing that VHS tape from you. Those were the days. DVD just doesn't provide that warm look the way VHS does.

Gary, put out that cigarette. What are you tryin to do, make me sick?

as you know, old habits die hard my friend. Just check the name. It's Gary Wino SMOKES

Wow! You actually DO care

Tom you are sadly mistaken. Once again standing at the bus stop of life without the full fare.

Regards,

Gary

tesmeralda
11-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Rick I think I remember stealing that VHS tape from you. Those were the days. DVD just doesn't provide that warm look the way VHS does.

Actually, if I remember correctly, I believe the quality of the 3/4 inch beta version was quite superior to that of VHS. It would be nice to get this on DVD though . . .

Wow! You actually DO care

Tom you are sadly mistaken. Once again standing at the bus stop of life without the full fare.

Gary, I did not mean to offend you in any way by my comment. I think you are taking it the wrong way: I did not mean to suggest that you never cared about the state of matte painting, but rather point out how jaded you sound of late and how your recent reply was refreshing to hear.

I may not have the full fare all the time, but at least I want to ride the bus ...

rrische
11-09-2005, 07:12 PM
There goes Gary, his mouth writing a check his brain can't cover.

Funny like a sad, sad clown. O Solo Mio, baby....

AA
11-09-2005, 07:14 PM
. . . . < where is that credit card ? > A must have ! ! ! Thanks for sharing the link :D

LFGabel
11-11-2005, 07:14 PM
As a compliment, the book "The Invisble Art: The Legends of Movie Matte Painting" is also a compelling, entertaining and educational read as well. Lots of stuff on Whitlock, Dutton and loads of others.

dylan
11-14-2005, 09:43 PM
I still haven't gotten my DVD and haven't heard much from the company...kinda wondering what's going on.

dentsinger-I am shocked to hear you say that about Invisible Art. That is probably my most prized book that I own. It is not an educational book, but there is loads to learn from there. Amazing reproductions. oh well, to each his own.

Daniel
11-17-2005, 08:02 PM
I finally received the DVD yesterday! and about time too

I'll leave the review to Dylan ...but I will say, that the company selling the Whitlock DVD's are very un-professional.

They are more than happy to take your money straight away but they won't deliver until you chase them up about it. I phoned quite a few times only to get an anwering machine that no one responded to and emailed 3 times before someone replied.

The DVD is duplicated on a DVD-R and the cover and label is printed on a consumer quality ink jet printer. For $90 they should have done better!

dylan
12-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Frickin great! I absolutely loved seeing this dvd, since I get geeked out about traditional matte painting. It is an incredibly rare inside look into the art by one of the absolute masters. It was great because they walked through the production of a shot from filming to delivery. There is actual footage of him painting which was a real treat...also funny to hear him sing as he paints. You even see his turn at acting in a bit part from Mel Brook's History of the World part 1. There is a lot of great before and after shots. Some of the shots that they show look better than a lot of matte shots nowadays. It goes to show you it is about color and composition, not about slapping photos together. The only unfortunate thing is that it is so short...just under a half hour. Of course, I wanted to 4 hour epic documentary about matte painting, but I am happy to at least have this. It is also fun to see a young Syd Dutton and Bill Taylor. I think I have already watched it 3 times. If you are interested in traditional matte painting, then I highly recommend this.

GuitarCrazyo
10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Okay well maybe I am just panicking too much. I guess maybe I was getting concerned because all the stuff Ive read about concerning Prince Albert piercings said they generally will only bleed for the first 24-48 hours before they significantly slow down. Although, my piercer never said anything about using a sea salt water combination. He just told to pee into a cup and stick my bits in that for a bit while in the shower because my own urine will work as an antiseptic. So thats what Ive been doing. Do the sea salt water combinations work?