PDA

View Full Version : some input Please (Updated 2/8/05)

RayLaVeau
02-07-2005, 12:48 AM
I like the composition and the elements on this one, but I can't quite seem to figure out whats bugging me about it. Any comments or suggestions would be very helpful. 2 days Photoshop mostly paint.
Thanks for looking.
And I appreciate everyones input on my other posts as I am trying to grow here and better myself as a "Matte" artist. ( hopefully to work in the field? )
And thanks for putting me in the spotlight section
Rayl
Before
http://www.graphicdept.com/images/the%20Gorge.jpg

(After)

I seem to be able to fix some of my own mistakes sometimes, I should of seen what was wrong in the first place. Thanks for looking and I hope this one is better. Still needs some work on the lighting but I think its coming along well.

http://www.graphicdept.com/images/Inner%20G.jpg

imothep85
02-07-2005, 01:59 AM
hi good start, but add more shadows, cracks, and détails in the rocks, and ground, and change the global light, because your actuall picture is too flat, and add littles differents colors of brown, and green in the rocks.
;)

RayLaVeau
02-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I cant seem to get rid of the "Opaque-ness" of my paintings, I try using a harder brush and it seems too "Colorbook" Does any one know of a way to keep this from happening? Maybe a few words on lighting this would be nice too.
I agree it doesnt look like it did on my screen once I turned it into a Jpg. to put up here it lost alot of the quality. When I make an atmosphere layer I fill it with a color then fade the opacity and erase out what I want to use for my atmosphere (ala Ryan Church style ) any other suggestions towards this manner would be greatly appreciated.
Rayl

RayLaVeau
02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Anyone? Is this thing on...??
Anyway I just wanted to add that I updated
Thanks for looking
Rayl

homer
02-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Here are some comments
Add a hint of light rays and define the light direction
Use the light direction and show the shadows on the ground
Using some atmosphere show the depth of the rocks (those parts close to camera and those far away)
Also below the arch should be in the global shadow
Add a dark shadow in front of the camera (it might help the composition)

B. Kachel
02-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Try adding some breaks in the water and some splashes against the rock. The haze in the foreground makes it look feathered and blurred. Instead of paintng a haze over the foreground rock, try adjusting the contrast some so it isn't so strong. Also try sucking out some of the color out of the foreground, and raise the sky.
Good start
-Brandon Kachel

RayLaVeau
02-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks homer
But I dont want to seem like a idiot, but what exactly do you mean by "Global Light" and when I try to use "Atmosphere I get a real Opaque like" feeling to my work
Thanks

homer
02-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Using shadows you can turn your opaque images to live 3d looking image.

Even in an overcast environment like in your image,
sky, sun and cloud together act like a big soft light over the globe. (global light) and generating shadows.

Those surfaces of the cliff facing the sky should be brighter.

To learn more see this;
http://www.mattepainting.org//forum/viewtopic.php?t=364