PDA

View Full Version : HOW MUCH DOES A MATTE PAINTER EARN IN UK??

youpihoups
02-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Hello there.

I am would like to know more about the average salary as matte painter in UK.

Does anyone have any idea about it? It's very hard to get a set amount on a yearly wage for full time work, as opposed to freelance quotes. I am working full time... and I'm pretty sure I'm not on the right amount.

It would be useful to know our value on the market ...

As a begginer ?

As middle level ?

As Senior ?

THANKS ...

Justin Atkinson
02-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Mind your own business! :P

youpihoups
02-20-2008, 04:08 AM
Can I have a real debate please !!!

graphmac
02-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Yeah, it would be nice to find out. (I could ask a friend who is working on Hellboy 2, but it seems rude to ask.)

I'm currently a concept artist, but would like to know if the troubles and stress of being a matte painter is worth the effort involved.

How much would a FT experienced (4 yrs) matte painter get at a VFX company in the UK in London. Just a number.

a.30-40K
b.40-50K
c.50-80K

(A) seems like a good number, I'm not talking about your Dusso's etc.

Alex Jenyon
02-20-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm currently a concept artist, but would like to know if the troubles and stress of being a matte painter is worth the effort involved.

Why would you think that a matte painter would earn more money than a concept artist? If anything, it would be the other way round.

And why would you think it's more trouble and stress?

There is a huge amount of crossover between concept art, matte painting, 3D, texture work and compositing. And because there is so much crossover, I've never really noticed any massive difference is rates between the different disciplines.

But yes, as a really rough guide, (A) is probably a good number.

If you're going to choose this career for the money, you're on to a loser from the word go...

youpihoups
02-20-2008, 08:22 AM
To alex ...

Obviously It's not just about the money ...

but like everyone I have rent to pay and a life here ( in the the most

expensive city in the world...) and I think it's the minimum to know your

value on the market ... no ??

Alex Jenyon
02-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I think it's the minimum to know your

value on the market ... no ??

Of course - I was replying to graphmac's comment, rather than attacking yours... :)

You could have searched for this - there a load of threads on it already.

http://www.mattepainting.org//forum/viewtopic.php?t=1654

Hope that helps

AJ

youpihoups
02-21-2008, 06:06 AM
TO AJ

Thanks for the tips ...

Suirebit
02-21-2008, 07:02 AM
If you're going to choose this career for the money, you're on to a loser from the word go...

I don't agree, as a matte painter , if you're good, you can earn a lot. I say if you're good because that means ascending in positions....lead,senior etc ;)

And as a MP you can be more flexible, because at some point you must know 3d and compositing too at least at an average level. And you can also go as a concept artist. While the other way around...it's harder :)

Justin Atkinson
02-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Most VFX disciplines have a 'senior' or 'lead' position, which generally pays more but not that much.

Matte-painting is treated much the same but it certainly doesn't pay top dollar! Try directing or producing, that's where the cash is..

Where are you getting your insight from Suirebit?
I'd like to know...maybe I could work there!

Suirebit
02-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Director or Producer....ok...this is quite offtopic....of course that as a director you get more cash but that's another career path and skillset...we were talking about art careers, right?

You could as well said that you can earn more by being President of United States.

You're making ironies whenever I have a comment about work and I start to consider it personal. If you're so interested I get my insight from people who actually work full time in studios, overseas. In any regards, Europe pays less than other places...

Justin Atkinson
02-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I wasn't attempting to be personal, just curious to know your sources.

When discussing serious topics like this it's better to hear from the experience of a professional.

No offense. I was just checking.

Audrius
04-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Matte painting is not any special kind of vfx and is paid similarly like other vfx artists such as concept painters, compositors 3d people. I guess you can do more in 3d. In my opinion numbers written above are slightly too high. :) Of course there may be exceptions.

imothep85
04-04-2008, 05:06 AM
For me its 350 euro per day, senior Matte-Painter in freelance, but im not in UK...

Suirebit
04-09-2008, 09:35 AM
you surely respect yourself :D

Audrius
04-15-2008, 04:43 AM
I think this is not about self-respectability. Very often it depends on what kind of company you work at and what kind of people you work with and of course how good you are. :)
As for London, even 80k may not be very much since you have to deal with that horrible dynamic tax system and London's prices for flat rent and traveling.

Justin Atkinson
04-15-2008, 05:23 AM
I have just read on your site you work at Men From Mars

That's a pretty high (good) rate in my experience - I don't know anyone who's on 80k.

Okay 350 Euros = 280 I'd say average is 200-250 - still that's good.