PDA

View Full Version : Article about light

frog
12-07-2004, 02:47 AM
For those of you that don't read CGTalk (where this was front paged for a few days), I am writing a fairly detailed article on light:

www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm (http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm)

Only the first 3 parts have been written so far, the rest will probably come next month. There is already a lot of information there, and hopefully something for even the experts to enjoy.

The article is extensively illustrated with my own photographs, which hopefully really help to illustrate the various points I am trying to convey.

NickJushchyshyn
12-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks for writting the articles and posting here.
I've seen your series referred to and valued in other (non CGTalk) FX circles as well.
Really fantastic and useful work you're doing there.

Thanks again!

chris_mac
12-09-2004, 07:22 AM
What I love about this article is that you agree with what I've been thinking ever since I first started in 3d/cg:

3 POINT LIGHTING LOOKS CRAP!!!!

seriously though, great article.

kaz
12-09-2004, 04:59 PM
mmm I believe that 3 point lighting is ment for actors not for obj etc, so of course it wont work with enviroments

frog
12-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, and for taking the time to read it.

As for 3 point lighting, I only mention it in passing and it is not by any means the core of the article. My argument against it is mainly that it's a cliche that has been repeated too often, and it is used with little thought because it is the only technique widely taught.

Real world lighting is more complex, but understanding it is the key to good painting and CG work - too little emphasis seems to be placed on light in most books I've read and there is very little information available in general.

If you look at the very best work on this site it is clear that an excellent understanding of light is what sets it apart, to my mind anyway.

AliK
12-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks for posting your article here.

There were some good and useful examples such as this one;
http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/02-stormy.jpg
Sunlight against a dark cloudy backdrop provides a dramatic mood.

It is a very good read.

plaf
07-05-2005, 05:31 AM
I thought this was thorough and a brilliant read as well. I only wish you'd finish the article :)

adam
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
BIG thanks for this info on light, very helpful!
Great stuff in your portfolio man!!

Just curious, did you change the form of the frog
in your version or replicate the form as seen in the reference?
Seems like a good exercise. Also, what is the direction of
the light source(s)? I'm seeing light from underneath and the left side..
does that mean there is sunlight or sky light reflecting from
something below the frog and tree branch?

Was the reference likely taken during the golden hour? I'm just
trying to get my head around the lighting principals you've presented.
It'd be great to have a clear understanding of it.

Your illustrations are quite magical. Keep it up! :-)

Harry
11-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the tutorials. It was very usefull!