PDA

View Full Version : Al Whitlock - Visual Effects Society’s tribute to on-line.

cbarron
03-31-2007, 12:23 PM
I put together this Visual Effects Society’s tribute to Al Whitlock and thought members here in the forum might like to see it at the link below. Check it out soon, as I’m not sure how long it will be on the web. The montage clips and panel includes Jim Danforth, John Landis, Robert Boyle and Bill Taylor at the link below:

http://mattepainting.org/board/extras/VES.flv

-

-Craig

emptyslot
03-31-2007, 01:10 PM
He is a genious! though i havent seen any movies that i can recall, wich he worked on..

Thanks for posting it for me it was a pleasure seeing this

adam
03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for sharing!
A great tribute for a great artist!
-Adam

Speculart
03-31-2007, 07:33 PM
This fantastic resource should be archived somewhere here. Is it possible to set up some kind of archives of great matte shots, great artists, all that is matte? I think it would be used constantly for inspiration.
Thanks for this fantastic post. I hope people get to see it before it dissapears off line.

Timmay
03-31-2007, 08:38 PM
This is awesome!

Just hearing Mel Brooks' reactions was priceless.

And the shot from Blues Brothers was ingenious.

Thank you for posting this.

cstoski
03-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for sharing this Craig! It would be great if the VES could leave this online for all to see.

For those of you who want to see beautiful full color prints of both the original Whitlock paintings and the final composites from the films, check out Craig's book: "The Invisible Art". You can learn a great deal from this book that'll affect your matte paintings immeasurably! I had the pleasure of working on Craig's book and it never siezes to amaze me how the paintings transformed when shot on film. You can see how contrast, exposure shifts, slight defocus and film grain can make a strong painting into a shot that looks absolutly photographic... one of Al Whitlock's many great talents!

miguelslo
04-01-2007, 05:05 AM
wow this is awesome, 1 hour to go, i hope it stays online :D happy happy :D

AA
04-01-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks for taking your time to post and share it with many others . . . Fantastic footage ! I was very lucky while working at Illusion Arts a few years back, to see a few of the original paintings of Al Whitlock, even close up they still maintain amazing realism. Also having seen so many great original paintings by Syd Dutton, Stromberg, and others made me appreciate this art form beyond any thought.
Again, thanks for making this available and I hope this will be available on DVD at some point.

matte
07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Very inspiring
Thank you very much

greg lamont
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
thanks for sharing.

Xdreamer79
07-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Downloaded, thanks a lot :) Does anybody know where to find more informations about Al Whitlock? I never heard of that name before, shame on me :oops: :cry:

cbarron
07-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Xdreamer79-

I have a chapter on Whitlock in my book “The Invisible Art: The legends of Movie Matte Painting.” If you can buy the hardback that has a CD-Rom with a few Whitlock clips that was part of his demonstration reel. You can find it on Amazon or e-bay etc.

If you have a library that has “American Cinematographer” magazine look up “The Hindenburg” and “Earthquake” issues.

Also on the Stop Motion forum there is an active discussion on “Favorite Whitlock Matte Shots-

http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/d ... =803&page= (http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=803&mesg_id=803&page=)

-Craig

Brandon
07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
truly amazing work, thanks for putting this together/ uploading this Craig.

tharmine
07-26-2007, 01:29 AM
X2. Fantastic video, great artist. Thank you for sharing

robbla1981
07-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Thanks again Craig, that was a really nice video (though it's all the more sad that Albert is no longer with us). I've pasted the link in my profile signature, maybe if a few more of us do this, more people in the mattepainting.org community will get to see it.

hope all is well,

Rob

nickmarshallvfx
08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
What a talented man. Great video, thanks for sharing!

Nick

smooth
08-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh this is nice. Thanks for the link. Now that's nice matte painting work. Too bad the video is so small. Hopefully a dvd will be released.
Funny to see those shots without a crazy camera move. I must say I like it simple yet effective. I like the part where Bob Boyle talks about The Birds being realized due to finding a good matte painter (in this case Whitlock). Only then did they go ahead with that movie. Now that's cool.
If someone finds a bigger version of this video...please post!
:)

enchantedfugue
08-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Wore a suit and tie to work everyday and never got a spot of paint on it :wink:

kiwipainter
08-06-2007, 11:17 PM
you can buy the Whitlock documentary here:

http://www.firstlightvideo.com/Film_Vid ... l#F1159DVD (http://www.firstlightvideo.com/Film_Video_TV_Production.html#F1159DVD)

It's pricey at 79.95, if anyone's bought it I'd be curious to know how the quality is.

swoop
08-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Very interesting video. And good discussion on stopmotionanimaition.
Traditional mattepainting is so exciting. It's amazing. I'd love to see the original painting. I didn't have the chance yet. Only one from star wars at the exhibition in Paris last year. I was so impressed.
This art is dying...

kay2
08-18-2008, 07:53 AM
thanx for sharing....awesome...

Stefan-Morrell
09-27-2008, 12:13 AM
this is a great video to watch after reading "The Invisible Art"...thanks for posting it !

millansky
12-21-2008, 09:08 AM
This is so awesome!

teety
01-05-2009, 10:35 PM
fantastic
Thanks you

rockhoppermedia
06-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I enjoyed watching this video, given me a lot more inspiration. Thank you for putting this together and reaching out to us who are struggling,

Rich

gridlocke13
09-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Inspirational and amazing. Whitlock was truly a practical genious.

Katana
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I had a brief opportunity to meet Albert Whitlock at Universal when he was painting a plate for a History of the World part 1. Although I was a kid and it's been awhile, i remember him to be a soft-spoken man with that kind of gentle aura around him. Watching him paint was truly a fond memory. I did know who he was before I was introduced to him, but still to go back and look at his accomplishments just makes my jaw drop every time.

slug45
11-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks a lot!.
Your book is one of my most beloved ones in my library.