PDA

View Full Version : camera mapping/matching perspective

MPaquin
01-19-2007, 09:26 AM
I have a photo I'm trying to project in Maya, yes I know its a texture, use perspective on "Projection Type," make sure the aspect ratio and focal length match... I'm having trouble with matching the perspective. This part is kind of tricky.

I have the horizontal perspective lines lined up in Maya, but then I noticed the verticals were off. Is this a keystoning problem? I tried solving it with the Yaw-Pitch tool, but it didn't seem to help.

Anyone have any advice?

RiKToR
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
There is a setting in maya that will change the vertical convergence of your perspective. I have a book that tells you about it and its on one of the Gnomon Digital Sets DVDs But I cant find either right now but if I do I will post it.

RiKToR
01-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Film Offset is the command, you have one for X and one for Y and it will, with, slight adjustments alter vertical convergance. So its setup like this place your camera where you want it, then using the divider between render layers and your channel box move it to where you horizon line is so it can be referenced after the offset. Add a small positive value in the second Film Offset (Y) for divergence. Like .20, then using pitch yaw rotate the camera back to the horizon line, make adjustments as needed.

From Eric Hanson's Digital Sets I DVD, and his books Maya Killer Tips.

Hope thats whats you needed.

MPaquin
01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the reply RiKToR.

I looked into the Film Offset thing. I actually have the Eric Hanson dvd, he kind of rushes through his Camera Projection section. Has anyone had to use Film Offset for camera mapping? I know he uses it for rendered geometry, but if you're importing a photograph would it sill be necessary?

I can't post an image url, but I did upload one over at http://www.dvgarage.com/garage/break/fo ... eadid=5667 (http://www.dvgarage.com/garage/break/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5667)

The buliding in the foreground is at an angle, which I eventually matched perfectly, but then the ground plane, because the point of view is so high up wasn't right. I'm trying something new to troubleshoot this, hopefully it works out.

bcottman
01-19-2007, 02:47 PM
hey its my home town... providence

maybe post a screen capture of your wireframe so we can see it.