PDA

View Full Version : mountains and camera tilt ...

icaref
11-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Her's a matte I've done 2 weeks ago. The mountains are a mix of pics I found on the internet and some personnal photos. The sky is painted.

http://francois.ferracci.free.fr/mattes/composite.jpg

You can watch the video composited in AE at this URL ...

http://francois.ferracci.free.fr/neve01.mov

Critics and comments are welcome.

troopah
11-13-2004, 08:47 PM
nice use of lighting and particles for the snow, but might wanna smooth out your camera speed/postion by rounding out the peaks, just my 2 cents might add mmore fluidity to the piece

cheers
Jon

cstoski
11-13-2004, 09:40 PM
The matte painting is a nice start.

As for the movie, I think it needs alot of work. I agree with the comments about smoothing out the camera. The camera has a very CG move to it. Also, the fog-like elements which I assume are blowing snow look pretty good except they aren't obscuring the details behind them like in real life. here they are doing what some of us call "plussing", that is, they are actually lightening the details behind instead of obscuring. Lastly, it rarely snows when it's sunny, you have alot of sun hitting the mountain tops and if absolute realism is your goal, I'd favor no direct sun, just ambient light on the mountains. If you want a magical feel, what you have here with the sun and snow flakes would make more sense... maybe it supports your idea of secrets in the mountains (I think that's what the text says?).

I like your idea of coming out of the darkness through the crack to reveal the scene, it works well with the text and is very dramatic.

By the way, let us all know what it says in english here on this thread.

stevenbray1
11-14-2004, 04:27 AM
I like the lighting but it IS more magical than realistic.

All in all I agree with the comments so far - smooth out the camera move and please can we have a translation?

I like the painted sky too.

icaref
11-14-2004, 05:02 AM
I thank you all for those comments and advices. I totally agree, and I'm going to improve my work with them !
I'll smooth the camera movement, remove the "sunny thing" and put some more particles, make a better lighting...
To cstoski: the text in english is : "In 2005 ... Montain delivers her secrets" or something like that (I've got to improve my english ...).
My goal is to make something really realistic, so I will listen very carefully the tips you gave me.

Thank you very much for your advices and comments. It's very helpfull to improve my work.

See ya soon with a new version of those mountains !

mr_projects
11-14-2004, 08:11 AM
ur video is really nice

could u tell us the apps u used ?

did u use a camera projection technique ?

thanks

troopah
11-14-2004, 08:26 AM
seems like he sectioned off each mountain on put them all on different layers and add various depth cues to help accent the camera movement and then just animated a 3D camera, i'm just takign a guess at it but thats what it looks like and en = in :lol:

icaref
11-14-2004, 10:00 AM
I used Photoshop For the matte, and After Effects for compositing.
troopah, you're totally right !...

mr_projects
11-14-2004, 01:17 PM
so.. lemme get that right, u used after effects and used layers in 3d space, each layer representing a different mountain ?

cstoski
11-14-2004, 04:02 PM
icaref: since you said My goal is to make something really realistic, I have a few more suggestions.

Take a look at some of these:
-The Empire Strikes Back, because alot of the snow or blizzard shots are REAL blizzards shot in Norway with blowing snow and an overcast sky. Note that the snow flakes are not visible over the light sky, but become noticable when they're over medium or dark objects. Also, if you see a nice snowy shot in Empire that isn't real photography in Norway, then it's likely a Michael Pangrazio (one of the masters) painting. So mimicking that wouldn't be a bad thing.

-I don't claim to be a master, but you can use one of my snow shots I did for THE ALAMO as reference. Every single bit of blowing snow clouds and flakes are digital. I used many different particle systems blowing and falling in chaotic directions. I also painted softer cloud-like formations that blows around near the ground all over the scene. Notice how these gusts of blowing snow tend to "fog-out" and obscure the land behind them. This is achieved by taking the matte of the blowing cloud and in the comp tweaking the contrast and color of the image behind it. You can do this quickly in a comp until it looks real and don't have to re-render 3D elements. This often solves the problem of CG or painted clouds and fog that look TOO thin.

I looked at alot of real reference before and while doing the ALAMO shot. This is always very important if realism is your goal.

The ALAMO shot "breakdown" can be seen here:
http://home.pacbell.net/cstoski/alamo_01.html

and the MOVING Quicktime shot can be seen here:

http://home.pacbell.net/cstoski/alamo_snow_movie_01.html

The movie is kinda large, but if you're on a fast connection like DSL or cable it's acceptable. I think it's worth the wait for your reference.

Keep at it. :)

icaref
11-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Chris Stoski ...
I think I could call you "MASTER"... Thousands of thanks for your advices !!! I'll do all what you say, and this stuff when I'm finished.
Thanks for the examples, they're great and good references for understanding.
Thanks again, and see ya soon on this forum ! ...
Regards.

shyster
01-09-2005, 09:35 PM
I want to see an update. This is a helpful thread. Great work both of you guys!

icaref
01-10-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm currently working on a production, but I will give you an update soon...

Regards