PDA

View Full Version : help with painting!

scott marshall
07-23-2006, 03:51 AM
hi my name is scott and i am having problems with my photoshop painting skills im not to bad its just painting enviroments. i came across DYLAN COLE'S work and it is outstanding i mean who could paint such a matte in lord of the rings he is amazing! so dose enyone have eny good tutorials or tips to do with painting, prespective and composition!

thanks!!!! :D

RiKToR
07-23-2006, 03:59 AM
Well if you like dylans work get his DVD's from Gnomon. All three are great. If you need some tips just look landscape painting on the internet, look at others artist works (not strictly digital) they will give you feel toward what types of compositions are in landscapes. Another tip, and this is in Dylans dvd, dont use too saturated colors. Im most cases you will not use the right half of your color picker. Another tip, the sky tones are the most important because all the ground and water you paint will be colored based on your sky tones. Try finding some good skys and erasing everything below the horizon lines and paint a new landscapes. It is a really useful excercise.

There are tutorials on the resource section of this page and you may want to try www.cgtalk.com (http://www.cgtalk.com) they have a matte painting forum. My best advice though is look at paintings, look at photos, replicate what they have done in photoshop by tablet and you will learn alot. And pick up Dylans DVD's they are very much worth the money!

scott marshall
07-23-2006, 11:01 PM
thanks RIKToR

for the tips its just im from the uk and i dont like to by from abrod but i did get my hands on the d'artiste matte painting done by dylan its ment to have good tutorials. im going to cheak out the site now!
:)

Xdreamer79
07-24-2006, 03:28 AM
I am sure you will have a local shippment for the Dylan Cole's DVD :-] I have ordered mine from germany and the first one from Gnomon :-]

rossco1111
07-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey Scott,

good to see another Scotsman here.

Just to let you know I bought the Dylan and Dusso DVD's from America and they arrived with no problems. Get them bought.

p.s. Where you at in Scotland?

scott marshall
07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
hi rossco
thanks for the tip on the dvds its just i hate buying from abroad but i will!
enyway i bought the d'artiste matte painting book and i havent got it yet but if you no about it could you tell me about it!

thanks and im from inverness!

scwatman
07-24-2006, 11:41 AM
hey scott

yeah have to agree with rossco. although i havent bought those dvds myself i know of a lot of people how have. if ur wanting good dvds then you cant get much better than gnomon.

oh and yeah im also a scotsman.

cheers

scott marshall
07-24-2006, 12:35 PM
thanks scwatman
he is right i will order them soon!

P.S where abouts you live in scotland?
:)

rossco1111
07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
dont have d'artiste im afraid so i cant comment on it, but i'm reckoning its decent.

And i'm in the grey grey city that is Aberdeen....not for long though hopefully!

RiKToR
07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
D'artist is good I have seen but want to own, it is good if you already have a grasp of matte painting... The DVD's are for excellent for beginers expecially Dylans he makes the concepts easy to understand.

scwatman
07-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey scott

well im originally from east kilbride (just outside glasgow) but ive lived in london for the past year or so. i work at double negative in london (compositor not matte painter).

so u tried any matte painting yet or is it only in the planning and research stages?

scwatman

scott marshall
07-26-2006, 01:27 AM
yeah i have tried it but im still finding it hard to do the detail but i should be geting there!

thanks!

i will post up a painting soon!