PDA

View Full Version : PC vs Mac Color Calibration

DarkLSurf
06-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I notice that everybody uses what ever platform that works. I've used a Mac for the last 17 years and recently started using a PC for 3D. I've noticed a big difference between the two (the PC has more contrast and is darker). I'd like to switch to a PC platform for painting and 3D instead of bouncing between the two. 3D on the Mac makes me weep bitterly, plus Painter 6 no longer works in the latest version of Mac OS. Do I get the brightest CRT possible? Are there other solutions? Or is this really a non issue and maybe I should switch to decaf?

Thanks!

Dale

RiKToR
06-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe just switch to decaf any way caffine is horrible on your nervous system *sips Mountain Dew* uhh anyway. No, calibration is pretty important especially for print or video work. The issues is most Mac users use Mac monitors which are much better than your typical cheap CRT. One problem I noticed is that alot of CRT are just dark, with the highest contrast and brightness.

I recommend Sony, Viewsonic, LG or any other high quality monitor. They will give the most range in brightness.

One thing I have noticed is that TV and print tends to be alot darker than what you see on your screen so be sure to correct for this if you want a true vision of what is going to be on your final output.

PS Maya, though dismal and slow, is stable on mac from what I have seen.

DarkLSurf
06-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks Cliff. I've got my eye on a Viewsonic 21" Good gracicous, never thought I'd get another 1,000 lbs CRT.

Dale

RiKToR
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I know what you mean I have two 17 inch CRTs on me desk and I would trade them in a second but I cant trust LCDs yet. Way to difficult to calibrate without expensive tools.

dstipes
06-13-2006, 12:31 AM
RIKToR,

How are you calibrating your monitors? Are you using NTSC bars, LAD chart, and Photoshop gamma control or .....????

I work with a CRT at home then look at my work on flat screen LCDs at school and there is a WORLD of difference.

(I miss the photo chemical film world of color temperature correct light boxes, repeatable color printing numbers and some semblance of standardization ...) :(

David

RiKToR
06-13-2006, 03:24 AM
I have an image I got from www.cgtalk.com (http://www.cgtalk.com) when they were doing submissions for D'artist Concept Art, this is image was made for calibrating the monitor so the submissions were print ready. Mostly its just a gamma calibration but the colours are there too. From there I open it in internet explorer and use my color managment feature on the video card to set the appropriate values.

I can see if I can find the image again, I didnt keep it but remember the settings for my monitor.

stylEmon
10-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I've been a mac used for years now, but am often forced to use PC (at work). My biggest problem with PCs is that I never know what to expect when I print to video or paper. It takes many test prints before I am happy with my images. On my mac, I paint, model, render and am totally happy with the end result (as far as color goes). I never have to guess what the color will look like from a mac to video or from a mac to print.

I dont think it's a monitor issue. I use a 21" CRT on the mac, and a 19" LCD on the PC. It's always the same issues on the PC. I think Macs process color differently.

Natsu
04-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Would you recommend the use of a Mac or a PC? I have to renew my computer quickly, and I wonder if it's time to try a Mac.

I've been recommended to buy a PC with a Mac screen, due to the good calibration of Mac screens. What do you think?

GordonTarpley
07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
As far as monitor calibration and printing goes, I've used both platforms in production environments with no noticeable differences in printing accuracy. I worked as a production manager at a newspaper, used all macs for a few years. Now I do mostly architectural renderings all on PCs. Worked many jobs in between on both platforms. As long as I've kept my monitors calibrated I've been set and have been happy with my results. Knowing printing setups and how much dot gain there can be from different papers and inks can really help your results too. As far as video goes, I'm not as sure. I've worked on some video and from what I can tell I've had similar results across platforms.

Sanje
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
hey Gordon, I am working in adobe RGB on the mac and srgb on the pc. Both monitors are calibrated. However when I open the srgb files on the mac and convert them to adobe rgb they look light and washed out though perfect on the pc. An image that looks perfect on the mac looks dark on the PC.. so how do you deal with this problem if you have to back and forth? Thanks very much !
Sanjay