PDA

View Full Version : Garces Boston WIP

Ricardo Garces
05-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi everyone, I finally got the time to start the Boston Challenge.

So here is the very first of the images. Comments are welcome.

http://www.ricardogarces.com/albums/userpics/boston1wip.jpg

Best regards to you all.

RiKToR
05-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey it's looking good, though a few suggestions. The moon would be a little smaller and maybe better silhouetting the crashing plane. Also the atmosphere would be a little hazed because of the fires.

Ricardo Garces
05-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Hi Riktor,

thank you for your comments. The burning building and the plane are the only things I did so far.

Now one thing that troubles me... the moon. No where on Earth we can see a moon that big. However sometimes we see huge moons in movies. Van Helsing, Underworld... etc. Movies that are about the dark forces of evil like lycans and vampires. The question is, should we put the zombies with them? or these are other kind of zombies? Are these dead-walking zombies?

Best regards.

Tightpantsarecool
05-26-2006, 06:25 AM
I think it looks good so far. But, If you keep the moon that big, then I think it might need a little relfection in the water. It seems a little too dark also, the reflection might help that.

Xdreamer79
05-26-2006, 09:10 AM
I can't imagine a dark city like here since its a full moon :) Good start no discussion about this *g* Perhaps the fire could be a little brighter.

Keep up the work man.

Speculart
05-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Isnt that kind of 'huge moon' effect from using a huge telephoto lens? I mean so that to moon AND the foreground are in focus and the moon becomes huge. Maybe some aperture thing as well I cant remember. In anycase to pull off the huge moon thing I think that the rest of the image should have this kind of effect. But how to do it I dont know.
I think your going to have a hard time with the moon right in the middle. Perhaps a nudge left or right.
I feel like I have lived in Boston for years I know this city so well now!
Strong base to work on.

Ricardo Garces
05-29-2006, 06:31 AM
New Update.

I decided to keep the moon at it's position and size. Although you suggested to tilt the moon to one side, I will want to leave room for something else. :)

So:

- Added the raw reflex on the water and boats.
- Painted the sky
- added smoke
- Started silhoueting the buildings
- added more contrast to the falling plane
- flaming windows in the left buildings.

more to come soon.

http://www.ricardogarces.com/albums/userpics/boston2wip.jpg

Ricardo Garces
05-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Didn't like the way the clouds looked like. The previous version was totally handpainted.

This new one has photo composition and painting.

http://www.ricardogarces.com/albums/userpics/boston3wip.jpg

Ricardo Garces
05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
I guess I am the only one visiting my wip. I will keep updating it anyway. :?

http://www.ricardogarces.com/albums/userpics/boston4wip.jpg

Speculart
05-31-2006, 01:32 AM
I am visiting!! Just seems like your doing ok on your own. The strong silent type.
Ok that plane has been shitting me. It looks a little like its coming down too straight or something I dont know what it would look like but can it twist as it falls or arc down or perhaps be coming from us towards the city, I dont think its adding at the moment.
Also (I know...here we go) I think that the all over tone is a little bit the same. Those fires could come up and sparkle and some light on the sky side of the buildings roofs in front of the moon. It has a little bit of 'night for day' look at the mo.
Its a hard one because if your going to put heaps of fire up the front then perhaps the tones behind will be ok.
I sound confused and I am usually.

RiKToR
05-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Sorry I haven't posted I was on vacation. To me overall it seems to dark, both monitors I have seen it on, one coloured for print the other an LCD on a laptop barely show details.

Ricardo Garces
05-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Ahh finally!

Thank you both. I do have a problem with the brightness. I am using a Fugitsu Siemens LCD, and during the night when I work in the image, it shows everything very detailed. On my Samtron however, it is too dark also, and cannot be seen during the day...

Both monitors are "eye" calibrated using their respective software. Mac OSX in the Fugitsu, and Windows in the Samtron.

What can I do to correct this?

Spec - The crashing plane, is actually a real photography I took from the internet. That is a real plane crashing, and 300 people died. :shock:
I think it was in 1970. Browse the internet for Plane Crashes and you will find that one.

Again, the fires in the back are lit in my monitor. Everything has plenty detail. But it seams I am the only one seeing it so, something is wrong.

Thank you for your help. It really helps your input.

Speculart
05-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Well if I was crashing that plane I would do it MUCH more dramatically. No, sorry just a tasteless joke.
I think it is taking away from the image the way it is at the moment. Its reality is no reason to just keep it, I waste time every day trying to make great reference images fit because they are great. When it comes down to it you always end up scrapping or changing, I am starting to just bite the bullet and just scrap..
It draws my eye away from what is more important and looks tacked on because it is a cool thing you found.

dstipes
05-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Ricardo,

The matte is really dark on my monitor, too. I would agree about removing the plane; I find it is leading my eye out of your painting.

I would sure like to see more city lights and interactive lighting from the fires. Probably more smoke, too.

Keep going!

It is fun to see the progress everyone is making on this challenge.

David

RiKToR
05-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Ahh finally!

Thank you both. I do have a problem with the brightness. I am using a Fugitsu Siemens LCD, and during the night when I work in the image, it shows everything very detailed. On my Samtron however, it is too dark also, and cannot be seen during the day...

Both monitors are "eye" calibrated using their respective software. Mac OSX in the Fugitsu, and Windows in the Samtron.

What can I do to correct this?

Spec - The crashing plane, is actually a real photography I took from the internet. That is a real plane crashing, and 300 people died. :shock:
I think it was in 1970. Browse the internet for Plane Crashes and you will find that one.

Again, the fires in the back are lit in my monitor. Everything has plenty detail. But it seams I am the only one seeing it so, something is wrong.

Thank you for your help. It really helps your input.

I have an image around here that I use to calibrate for print work I'll try to find it.

wib
05-31-2006, 03:19 PM
it's still too dark for me, and my screen is calibrated.

but it's coming very good, i like the moon in the water.

Ricardo Garces
05-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone! Thank you for your kind support!

I tried to match both my monitor colors and brightness. My LCD got much darker, so I added a white screen to my image in photoshop. It now looks like this:

http://www.ricardogarces.com/albums/userpics/boston5wip.jpg

Is it ok now?

I will remove the plane. Keep visiting! :)

Best regards to everyone.

RiKToR
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Much better, I will check on my calibrated monitor later but as far as my LCD goes its better. Try adding some bounce light from the flames the will cause (especially with the large number of them) a lot of red-orange light to spill on other buildings.

Speculart
06-01-2006, 01:20 AM
yes much better
the plane even fits better

dstipes
06-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Night time lighting in and on foreground buildings? Street lights, interior lighting or more fires?

David

Ricardo Garces
06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
More background detail added. Flames light bouncing on the sky. Kept the plane yet.

Master David, the next step will be those you mention... I hope I graduate! :)

http://www.ricardogarces.com/albums/userpics/boston7wip.jpg

RiKToR
06-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Looking good, address the foreground and that should be close to finished.