PDA

View Full Version : Updated Boston Thang

Speculart
05-22-2006, 11:36 PM
I took the plunge and started the destruction. Not happy with the water yet. What jumps out for you? I have been looking at it for too long!
http://www.dudleybirch.com/sijun/boston3.jpg

RiKToR
05-23-2006, 12:10 AM
What jumps out? The first this is that the color seems, i dont know, wrong. Maybe overall too saturated. The flames seem good maybe too tranparent but the red in the clouds is too much. On the water try to smudge with the horizon line.

One more thing the jogger has been bugging me since your first post, I don't think he would be out for a jog after armageddon.

Speculart
05-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Ha he is not jogging he is out for milk, everyone needs milk. Hm it is oversaturated something is not working with it, perhaps I will change the purple, warm it up a bit maybe. There would be red reflected in the smoke rising from the fire so there should be red in that. I think it may be that purple is too strong. What do you think?
--edit--Just mucked around with it. put some haze in and it has helped. I will post it when I get it done

RiKToR
05-23-2006, 12:27 AM
The purple yes, but the red is still too much try hue shifting to an orange and dialing it down 15 - 20%.

nickmarshallvfx
05-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Its looking great. I will tell you what pops out at me. Its pretty much the same as what Riktor said. The over saturation of the sky takes away from the destruction of the city. The jogger s a bit weird, but i think it would be cool if you expanded on it and maybe had people running away from the city instead?
Also, the tall skyscraper in the centre just seems a bit out to me. I know it is being hit by light, but it sill just seems.... out of place.

The is just what i noticed anyway, and i feel a bit weird about my crits coz i love the image, and could never do anythihg close to that myself. I keep checking back for updates anyway, so good luck :)

Nick

adboy
05-23-2006, 02:31 AM
i gotta say i like it, the over saturation doesnt bother me at all

i havent got a focus tho, the image seems too spread out, nothing leading my eye

but it looks like its building up so cant wait to see more

Speculart
05-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Struggling along, all these suggestions are really good and have brought it up a couple of notches I think, post it soon.

nickmarshallvfx
05-23-2006, 03:05 AM
After reading Adboy's resonse i think i actually agree with him. I realise its not the saturation that puts me off, i like the strong colours, it makes it not boring. However it just needs a focus, or some way to make the destruction stand out.

Speculart
05-23-2006, 03:15 AM
was looking good and then the inevitable crash.

nickmarshallvfx
05-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Ah dude, i feel for ya...

Speculart
05-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Well I think I got back to where I had it before it crashed! Still little things to do, lights on buildings, maybe people coming towards us. Or maybe there is a lot to do depending on comments made here. Its funny how you can take it up to a point that you think is ok and then a couple of comments can make you see the glaringly obvious errors. Bring it on. Oh yeah don't mention the water its driving me bonkers!
http://www.dudleybirch.com/sijun/boston4.jpg

Kutkin
05-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey, man.
It's looking fairly well now :!:

RiKToR
05-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Well you know the water needs work! LOL! Looking good. Hey try something for me, try painting the light source eminating from the clouds with more clouds in essance close the sky of and let's see what the does.

nickmarshallvfx
05-23-2006, 11:58 AM
wow thats looking much better now! By continuing the purple-blue sky instead of having a red sky your fire really stands out! Get the water figured and it'll be one SWEET painting!

Nick

Speculart
05-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Cheers Kutkin.
Thanks space-sprayer yes Riktor was right.
Riktor: I have had a bit of a mess around with that idea already, the version I saved just before this one had the rain shifted over just as you said, whilst the cloud worked over there with back lighting the rain was taking away from the composition so I opted for this with the idea to go back and do it properly without rain. I will have a go at it. Thanks for your help!

RiKToR
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Cool can't wait to see. I am starting mine soon, I decided to hold of until after this weekend. I am heading to San Diego, CA and taking my camera. (Southwest US tends to make a trip to Boston difficult) I should have some great harbor shots that I can start from.

Speculart
05-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Think it may be finished. You can fiddle forever. Shall I put it in the finished thread?
http://www.dudleybirch.com/sijun/boston5.jpg

Xdreamer79
05-24-2006, 01:34 AM
This high city mirroring on the sea takes the focus off for some reason (it is maybe just me). I would lay down the opacity of this maybe. Else the image looks good :-]

RiKToR
05-24-2006, 02:38 AM
It looks good, as is but some more destruction would be cool. Play with it you got 3 more weeks.

adboy
05-24-2006, 03:40 AM
i think its really getting there
a couple of things jump out at me tho, i think you've over brightened the sky in the top right and once again its drawing your eye away rather than framing the shot and the intact building ambient colour is a litte to far away for the background clouds and sky so it looks composited, i think a hint of purple/blue will blend them nicely

the new building on fire looks cool but now seems like theres a gap, maybe a little low level distruction between will seal it

and the alpha of the tree branches could be a little tighter, the bleed is kinda strange

apart from that i love it man
love the new people running away too

btw how the hell did u get the pyroclastic look to the smoke, been trying it and its hurting my mind :)

Speculart
05-24-2006, 04:04 AM
ADBOY: To make the clouds volcanic looking (hope thats what you mean) I got a number of different cloud refs with similar kind of pluming shapes and matched them until they were working thenit was all about painting in the cast light from the fire. I used a scatter brush for some of it. That makes a cloud look but you cant go too sick on it. Its all about the mix of the dark/ grey tumultuous smoke and the fires light as well. Get them right and it seems to work. Oh yeah dont forget some fill light from the sky in parts that are not lit from any other source. Ha hope that makes sense. Most importantly for my skill level is dont do them too close up or everone can see your mistakes.
RIKTOR. Forgot there even was a deadline. Might start a close up one. From the street.
XDREAMER. I feel that my attention is split when looking at it as well. Will remedy this somehow. Thats what comes of not making a compositional painting first. Yes the @##@ing water.

Speculart
05-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, worked on the water and the overall colour as well as concentrating on leading the veiwer into the painting making sure the highest contrast is in the foreground. I will say I am finished again.
http://www.dudleybirch.com/sijun/boston6.jpg

Kutkin
05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
That's very cool.
Especially the water... Is it 3d? Looks excellent.
Maybe the fellow in the front could have more contrast :twisted: .
But no, I thing it is finished :wink:
Great job