PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Inn: first matte feedback welcome

GhostlyFu
05-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Hi all,
I'm working on a short film which is an adaptation of a classic English ghost story by M.R. James. I'm handling the camera and post production. I'm at the stage of designing the exteriors at the moment and would welcome any feedback as this is my first journey into mattes and 3d projection techniques. My aim throughout will be to maintain that 'invisible manipulation' feel and make everything look feasible.

This image is pure photoshop from multiple source images, the next step is to reproduce in Maya for a little camera movement.

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.stephengray.net/Inn-from-heath.jpg

Avene
05-22-2006, 03:56 PM
It does look pretty flawless. Upon first looking at it I thought you'd posted an unaltered photo. If anything, I'd say the perspective looks slightly off on a couple of parts of the building. The roof on the right side and the wall with the windows of the smaller vertical section on the left side. There appears to be a shadow on the wagon aswell.

Speculart
05-22-2006, 11:48 PM
It looks great, there are a few differences in the shadows though and it may help it to slightly deepen the front face of the building and fence/gate I believe that will help it pop out a bit. That is exceptionally subtle stuff though. If the shot was on screen for a couple of seconds you would never notice it is matte.

Kutkin
05-24-2006, 01:41 PM
I thought it was a photo at first sight. Very real.
The camera mapping thing isn't hard (well, not that hard)...
You need to reconstruct the scene - the basic terrain and house geometry - match it the camera angle (maybe the camera movement) - the hardest part.
Cameramap the texture - painting (I suggest Separate Layers For Ground+base house, background-mountains with alpha, sky, trees with alpha, maybe plants with alpha, and other things.
Then a place polygon objects (like cards) on the place (the trees, the fence, the sign and so on) and map the texture with alpha channel.
Use layers
I hope it will turn out great! Good luck with it, man

GhostlyFu
06-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. much appreciated :D