PDA

View Full Version : 2 sketches

Tightpantsarecool
05-21-2006, 06:14 PM
This one was inspired by one of my Magic:The Gathering cards(as stupid as that sounds). I pretty much copied it, but added a few different things. The closest mountain, with all the extra markings, has trees...note:the extra markings represent trees.
http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/2235/mountain5fb.jpg

This piece was just something I had in mind for awhile. I noticed a few things I dont like, so I will probably update it later. Some things probably arent recognizeable, but it's basically a beach, with a wave coming in, near a cliff. Im working on the "wet rock" part now, and the grass.
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6732/wave4ej.jpg

Noel B
05-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't quite get what part of this is a mattepainting. Its not to sound mean but mattepaintings do have a purpose for film or TV and now as works of art.
I think this sort of work belongs on CG Society where there are a load of digital painters that can help with the fundementals of digi painting.

minieffects
05-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Perhaps he is just starting out and wishes to acheive a mattepaint look eventually. And he may post at concept.org but wishes to get a wide rage of opinions.

Just a thought

minieffects

Noel B
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Perhaps he is just starting out and wishes to acheive a mattepaint look eventually. And he may post at concept.org but wishes to get a wide rage of opinions.

Just a thought

minieffects

I've seen his other posts, he's done better..... but this site features matte work not doodles... I'm not easing up on my crit... he's done better and needs to spend more time on his work and less time racking up his post numbers......
Maybe this site needs a little Simon Cowell onve in a while.

minieffects
05-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Noel B.
Clearly you still miss the point of this site. I didnt realize that you were the mattepainting.org hall monitor. So what if he posted these, do they affect you personally? If you dont like them fine, dont reply, but he is here for postive imput not agressive comments. And Simon Cowell doesnt belong anywhere near this site.This is not a competition. He didnt post these images for your abuse but for feedback good or bad not hostile. If the administrators of the site feel that there is content that should not be posted then leave it up to them. Your not helping anyone with your attitude.

I've seen his other posts, he's done better..... but this site features matte work not doodles... I'm not easing up on my crit... he's done better and needs to spend more time on his work and less time racking up his post numbers......

maybe he has posted other works that you feel is better but perhaps you should learn how to make comments that are a little less Simon Cowell and more Dr. Phil. :D

minieffects

RiKToR
05-22-2006, 12:07 AM

Just a thought

minieffects

Maybe this site needs a little Simon Cowell onve in a while.

Your right better, more matte painting esque work has come from this user, but experimenting is not a crime it's a tool. As matter of fact this user is trying to sketch using only a mouse in which I give credit to the resiliance of such and individual. All mattes should start with a base sketch for compositional studies. To start a matte without leads to many avoidable heartaches. And as for having the audacity to post sketches, we do happen to have an active and ongoing sketch forum here to develop artistic ability. And before you "why didn't they post there?" it is because they want a more in depth response to there attempt to get the most of the community.

No to business, tightpantsarecool, the first M:TG inspired piece works well. It maybe a little too saturated to be realistic, though. As far as the forground trees, I didn't need the explanation foliage was apparent. I actually heve the orginal reference and TAP it to cast "Mad Props" to your skill with a mouse.

The second work how ever is a little less apparent. The rock face seems cut out abrubtly to be normal erosion and could use some tweaking. The color scheme with this needs some work, itis too bold and to out of the box crayola colors. When you deal with colors in the color picker try to stay out of the right side of the color box. Staying to a desaturated center works best. If you need help developing a pallete, dl images that have the type material you want to duplicate and use the eyedroper tool (alt) to select the color.

Keep working and posting, I think the first show real promise.

Tightpantsarecool
05-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Noel B: To be honest, I dont even know what matte painting is. I've seen ones for movies where they had a picture, and I guess painted things? I dont really know what the exact definition of matte painting is, but I thought it had brushing involved. And, this is a quick sketch that I hope to refine later.

Minieffects: Yes, Im just starting out. And, yes, I do hope to acheive a "matte paint" sorta look...whenever I figure out what that is.

Riktor: Thanks. Yeah, I know that rock looks a little weird, and Im gonna find some reference pictures to maybe help me getting that right. And, for a color pallette.

*Yes, I know my post count is something that probably gets you "irritated", especially because Im not very good. But, it's because Im on here all the time at school. Im at school 8am to 3:45 pm, and when half of my teachers dont do anything....Mattepainting.org is what keeps me "entertained".

Ricardo Garces
05-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Tight, just a though. You really need to buy a Wacom tablet. There is a fast way to make money. Steal from your classmates :lol:

Sorry, just joking.

Doing sketches is good. You learn composition, mood effect, and color balance.

Matte Painting, is the name given to the artwork a painter does, when building, modifying, adding or correcting footage in Cinema terms.

It is also a fast and cheaper way to make stuff you want to show, which is too much expensive or difficult to do.

In the beginning painters used to paint over a glass that stood in front of the camera. This painting allowed to erase unwanted objects or to add objects into the real life scenario.

Today mattepainting is done digitally, usually with the benefit of photorealism made possible by photocameras, 3D software, and easy to use composition software like Photoshop.

In order to call your images, mattepaints, I believe the most important concept is for them is to be considered real images. When the viewer does not know which is painted and which is real, you have yourself a perfect job.

the best mattepainting I saw until today, was a single picture from "The Pianist" where the actor stands by a window. It's snowing outside so the window has snow in it, and is a little bluish. It's excelent because it really makes us think, that why would they put an entire crew of people in the snow for a 4 second shot?
The matte is very well achieved, and no one would think it was actually shot indoors with a perfectly brown window with transparent glasses.

I hope I was of assistance.

Noel, forums are for people to express themselves and to ask for help from other people who know a little more than we do. I think there is plenty room for everything in here. Everyone take's time to learn all trades. And we are always learning more stuff. Has punishment for your post, you now must help Tigh. :D

Best regards.

Tightpantsarecool
05-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks. Yeah, Im struggling to get some money. Im only 15, and dont have a job. :lol: Im close to 100 bucks short right now. Thanks for the information too. I was looking at Dusso's Lord Of The Rings mattes, and they look very realistic. And, that was what my "problem" was earlier on not know what matte painting is, just because of he uses pictures...but yet paints a lot too.

minieffects
05-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Holly crap your using a mouse! Thats impressive.

Tightpants said:
Minieffects: Yes, Im just starting out. And, yes, I do hope to acheive a "matte paint" sorta look...whenever I figure out what that is.

Dont worry you will, I wish I had internet and forums like this when I was 15. Man you are so lucky. I have to say that there are a lot of great people hear with great opinions and feedback.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more

Minieffects

Noel B
05-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Noel B: To be honest, I dont even know what matte painting is.

That says it all......

Look I'm not attacking the kid personaly he obviously wants to learn... but its not fair to coddle him along with those doodles.
Give him tips on how to be a real painter... hence the simon cowell approach(tough love). You guys can'y honestly think the second image of the beach is that good my 9 yr nephews draws better that and he does it with a mouse too.
Listen Tighty order dylans book research to orgins of mattepaintings. They are used in a broader sense now a days and done mostly in digital but animated movies employ matte painters as well so its not just real images.

My advice for practice pieces is pretend to be the director and hire yourself to do a matte painting for your movie.

http://www.sxc.hu/ go here and raid there images and create your new pieces from these stock photos..

Tighty you have the will..... show me I'm wrong with your next piece.

RiKToR
05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Noel B I usually side with you, but conceptual development is critical to developing a good matte painting. In other words he has to start somewhere. You cannot, under any circumstances, disregard an attempt a developing there overall painting skills. Mattepainting is not manipulation photos alone. A well rounded sense of art is needed to develop mattepaintings to their fullest potential.

I am not coddeling, I am giving sound advice as to where these sketches need to go at this stage. I look forward to seeing "Tight" turn these rough sketches into final mattes but "Tight" is not at this stage yet.

If you don't want to critique these sketches than don't bother with saying anything in this post. If you want to debate the importance of sketches for a matte begining then be my guest and start a thread in the general forum, I will debate you there.