PDA

View Full Version : Riktors Boston Thang WIP

Speculart
05-19-2006, 04:05 AM
So far I have joined together the boston skyline, and put in a new sky consisting of three skies that have been color matched with a little paint over the top. A screen grab was taken of the sky so I didnt have to flatten or mess around then flipped and darkened a little for the reflections. The sky line has been color matched as well. Thats as far as I have got. Now as to the destroying bit in the brief, wouldnt mind ideas!!! I am working on the theory that once I get the base I will have a foundation on which to work.
Crits?....Help?
http://www.dudleybirch.com/sijun/boston.jpg

Tightpantsarecool
05-19-2006, 05:19 AM
I like it the way it is. :D The sky is beautiful. But, it would be cool too, if you had like a storm destroying the city. The tree on the left could be leaning towards the right as if it was being blown, and the city could have tornadoes and debri(sp?) flying everywhere with lighting hitting some places.

That sounds hard to make though....just an idea. :lol:

Speculart
05-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Tightpants I like it at the moment too I think (strange after only half an hours work for me) but its not finished because we are creating these for a brief dictated by Riktor (our overlord and dictator!!) in his post, in the general discussion forum.

Timmay
05-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Where did you get that plate from? Of the city I mean.

Speculart
05-19-2006, 07:46 AM
http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml
stock.xchange type in boston and presto Timmay! Get to it!!

RiKToR
05-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Hey looking good so far, the water may be a little reflective.

Speculart
05-19-2006, 08:14 AM
see what you mean

Timmay
05-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Haha I thought so. Some images I picked up where alot closer, from a boat on the harbor.

kmblackbear06
05-19-2006, 01:29 PM
I agree with Rik, the water seems a bit too perfect. Look at some photos of water/ocean/harbors etc. There should be ripples/small waves/ etc etc from the current as well as the wind, other movements in the water(boats etc) waves crashing and reflecting back into the harbor.

Overall you've created a fun piece here. Something that reminds me of a feel peter jackson creates in some of his films (heavenly creatures is one) The blue color/filter. I do see a bit too much of a color change on the left side with the buildings in the BG. Maybe tone the color saturations down a bit. The person in the red also is a bit saturated but that doesnt bother me as much as the other buildings. Close objects should have higher contrast so it may be fine. Good start though :)

Speculart
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
KMblackbeard: Thanks for the comments. I dont want to mess around with reflections really until I have tackled the destruction part of the brief in the city as most of that will be reflected. It is mostly just a place filler at the moment. The colour shift may be too much, the plan is to have the sun peking over those clouds, grazing the city and falling on the water. That will probably change the way it looks maybe making the purple make sense. Its the destruction bit that I am worried about, its all good to have a nice photo manip but then you can wreck it with the paint!!

Timmay if you live in Boston post some pics, closer ones, maybe looking down an iconic street, so we can do a close up shot of the chaos/aftermath.

Timmay
05-19-2006, 06:50 PM
No no I dont live in Boston. I just got some harbor pix from stock excahnge like you did.

Speculart
05-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Bummer thought I had a man on the inside for a second!!

Timmay
05-19-2006, 07:51 PM
This project will be fun since I'm a NY fan. And now I get to destroy Boston. :twisted:

Speculart
05-19-2006, 08:02 PM
post your work in progress!

Speculart
05-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Changed the colour around a bit. Starting to think about how I can do the destruction. I think it will be down near the lightining, good compositionally I think. Still havn't done the final smudge lines for the water ripples.
http://www.dudleybirch.com/sijun/boston2.jpg
If any one has any suggestions please speak up!

Speculart
05-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Changed the colour around a bit. Starting to think about how I can do the destruction. I think it will be down near the lightining, good compositionally I think. Still havn't done the final smudge lines for the water ripples.
http://www.dudleybirch.com/sijun/boston2.jpg
If any one has any suggestions please speak up! Its just a fraction darker on my screen which makes the left trees bit blend better.

adboy
05-21-2006, 09:42 AM
looks great, i have a similar idea but got beaten to it :)

i'd have the looks localised like it was spreading so still some blue sky and semi normal city

give the idea of somehting coming i think

Noel B
05-21-2006, 11:46 AM
the waters too blury now. Reflections are crisp and sharp but maybe be distorted by the water ie. ripples waves but not blury.

I think you should skip the destructin part and show an over crowded over populated Boston maybe after it was destroyed and buildings are built ontp of each other.

Speculart
05-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Adboy. I beat you to nothing, you can do exactly what I have done if you want and we can work in tandem. It is a learning experience after all. Thats a great idea with the bits of clear sky.

Noel B Thanks for your comments, I agree with you I think on the too blurry thing, saved a copy without the blur just in case!! But I will have a look at some reference as well when I get to that stage.
Fantastic idea about the rebuild after destruction. Loved it at first and it really inspired me immediately but then realised that the brief says we are about three hours after the event, not much time for building.
Here is the brief:

Oct 1 6:00pm, The Pulse, a cell phone anomally that has the ability to wipe all but human instinct from mind listening, has rendered the city of Boston to a near apocalyspe. Form the inital pulse at 3:00 there has been a slew of human attacks, vehicle crashes, planes exploding, murders, etc. People struck by the pulse immediately feel the urge to kill anything, or if the could hear the conversation vagely there minds were wiped and became suicidal. Imagine that 95% of the world now was zombified into a killing frenzy whether on a plane, in a car, walking on a street, standing by a hotel window. These incidents when combined have the ingredients to burn Boston and any other city to the gorund in hours. Your task is to create a matte representing Boston in flames and distruction short of nuclear disaster as seen from survivors point of view. This can be achieve into to ways.

Easy, a long shot with minimal detail showing the burning city from a distance in birds eye or harbor view.

Difficult, a close shot showing a singe section of or street of boston in flames, with highly detailed buildings, wreckage, debris, anything to enhance the realism of the shot.
8)

RiKToR
05-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Just a heads, up 6:00pm in Oct in Boston tends to be either dusk or a late sunset. To me the picture says more of a morning colour.

Another post from a talented pro along the same lines http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=360176

Speculart
05-22-2006, 03:05 AM
That painting by Phil Straub is absolutely incredible. Just had a glimpse of it and will go back for a detailed look now.
Colour wise in my piece I am hoping that the introduction of city lights and buildings on fire will bring it out of that morning look that you are talking about. May have to put in some glimpses of late deep cyan sky somewhere on the left to add to the feel of encroaching night. Also I want the shadows to be more like the original colour. Got some time over the next couple of days so we shall see. Thanks Riktor.

adboy
05-22-2006, 06:40 AM
well after seeing speculart's image i thought i'd go for something a little higher up but unfortunately being in the uk finding images of boston are a bit of a mission so i just got any city i could find to start with
this really is my first matte and i've only spent about 40 mins on it so far just playing with colors and a feel so dont expect to much from me, the flames scale is all wrong, but as i say its just a start , gonna try to detail in from here and add distruction thats fading out from the core

unfortunately i've just see that link to the other image which has done what i wanted to do only a thousand times better, ah well i'll see where this goes but will proberly just use this to get some techniques rolling untill i find some better boston images to start me off

edit
http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/view ... 0826#10826 (http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10826#10826)

moved the image to a new thread :)

Speculart
05-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Ha thats great. Forty mins you say, jeepers you got some kick ass potential happening in that image already. The smokey haze is working really well at the front, you should continue that to the left and right. I reckon the foreground is coming along a treat! just keep plodding on that. The ground at the back is too bright though as you are no doubt aware. I would take that haze out and see if the natural fade off of the plate is working with the sky (sure you mucked around with this already) elements of smoke could recede to the horizon perhaps. Looking good.
Hey post it again in your own thread in the WIP, we want to get as many people noticing this challenge as we can and your post here may go unnoticed cos its hidden in mine.

adboy
05-22-2006, 07:02 AM
thanks man, will start a new thread and update the other message to go to it instead, thanks for the encouragement :)

Speculart
05-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Updated in an updated thread.