PDA

View Full Version : First ever matte - comments please

nickmarshallvfx
05-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Hi everyone
I just got Dylans dvd and this is my first attempt at my own matte. Please can you give comments and crits, it would be greatly appreciated. Please be gentle lol.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL762/3253510/9681213/144848688.jpg

Nick

adam
05-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Hi Nick,
Good start, it's nice to see you posting. Couple quick notes..
There are some horizontal lines visibly running through
the painting, so you might want to paint them out. I would also
consider adding more contrast between light and shadow side to help
define the rocks more clearly as rocks. Your strokes appear mostly
vertical, so perhaps you could try further defining rock shapes, reference
is handy for that.
Keep it up!
-Adam

nickmarshallvfx
05-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks Adam. Yea i just noticed those strange horizontal lines, i must have missed them.
I think i do need to get more contrast between light and dark, and you are definitely right about using vertical strokes. I thought it would help them look real as the rock has been weathered into upward spikes, but i think it lacks depth now, as no rocks have all vertical shapes, even if they have been weathered vertical.
I guess i mostly wanted to make the rock formations fit into the painting, and see if i could get a bit of depth to the painting, and test my brush skills. I definitely need to invest in a tablet!
By the way, i forgot to mention in my first post, the only photo element in this is the ground. Everything else is brushed.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Nick

RiKToR
05-16-2006, 04:02 AM
I think the detail of the sketch is looking good, and if your doing this practitce the technique, that is well. But I feel composition is important also, you have to have a pay off or something your eye is drawn to. In other words a reason why a person would look at this work. All art has composition, simply a way to focus your eye to where you want it to be and why it should go there. For example on your piece you have the eye moving straight up the center of your frame to rock, not really compelling, as well as most center focused compositions tend to be bland compared to ones that follow the rule of thirds. Again I am not criticizing but feel that if you don't incorporate and interesting pay off or composition even in practice most people will get into the habit of not remembering when not practicing.

I you feel I have come about being over bearing than let me know.

nickmarshallvfx
05-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Riktor
Thank you very much for the honest response. I really appreciate it. I did not think you came across overbearing, and i need all the criticism i can get if i want to improve. I see what you mean about the composition, its very lecking. I didn't really know where i wanted to go with it before I started, i was just playing with colour and light, but I won't use that as an excuse coz i shold have been thinking about composition anyway.

Im gonna rewatch Dylans dvd, and then try another. I think i will maybe add some water to my next one, or something with a bit more appeal to the eye. I really wish I had a tablet coz using a mouse is a nightmare.

Thanks for the advice.

Nick

RiKToR
05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Riktor
Thank you very much for the honest response. I really appreciate it. I did not think you came across overbearing, and i need all the criticism i can get if i want to improve. I see what you mean about the composition, its very lecking. I didn't really know where i wanted to go with it before I started, i was just playing with colour and light, but I won't use that as an excuse coz i shold have been thinking about composition anyway.

Im gonna rewatch Dylans dvd, and then try another. I think i will maybe add some water to my next one, or something with a bit more appeal to the eye. I really wish I had a tablet coz using a mouse is a nightmare.

Thanks for the advice.

Nick

About the mouse, I know what you mean.