PDA

View Full Version : Another PluginZ painting...

Scott Keating
05-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I think I'm pretty much done with this, might do a few tweaks still...Anyway, here's my entry for the PluginZ contest. I wanted to make a scene that feels very much like a fantasy setting, but actually has a sci-fi twist. Anyway, take a look. I'd love to hear crits/comments. ( This is actually my second ever totally finished matte )
Alot of handpainting and photo-montage. Oh, there's a little orange glow on the right by the wall which is an accident :) I'll be removing it.

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/kkeating/PluginZmatte.jpg

arte
05-04-2006, 04:26 PM
incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Keating
05-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks, glad you like it. I'm still sort of torn about the image. I like it, but I think maybe it needs another element. I'm trying to keep it simple....bah :) haha, so indecisive :)

Anyway, thanks again!

Echoes
05-05-2006, 12:03 AM
this is an amazing piece!! I really like the atmosphere you have created adding just a few elements.
Great job, I can't see anything to critic.

tobiasth
05-05-2006, 01:30 AM
i like it too, great job!!

metacool
05-05-2006, 07:47 AM
nice ..clean and spectacular...
the only technical thing that disturb this great piece is the gradient mask near the tree and the spotlights...the transition is not so subtile as you can do it in another places so well...
best luck to the contest

* sorry about my poor english...

Scott Keating
05-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad it's being enjoyed! :)

Metacool: I'm not entirely sure what you mean? The tree in the foreground? What specifically is bothering you?

Tightpantsarecool
05-05-2006, 11:16 AM
That looks really cool. I like the ship.

arte
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
you could make the scene alittle darker because the lights that you have upfron dont go with the lighting of the schene.

Just a tought.

B. Kachel
05-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I really like what you have done here. Have you thought of detailing it a bit more to give off a better sense of realism? It has a painterly feel to it.

I really like it though. Great work!

-Brandon

Scott Keating
05-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Arte: A little darker? I think maybe I was afraid making it darker for fear of it becoming too murky. You mean that the 'light' of the lanterns isn't bright enough for the background?

B. Kachel: Thanks! I was sort of going for a vaguely painterly feel, but at the same time, just about everything in the picture is photo-based. I think maybe the softness of the original plate ( Which is supplied by the contest ) is partially to blame. The only real hand-painting is the fog and the trees in the mid-ground. Even the spaceship is made up entirely of photos. Do you have any suggestions specifically? I'd love to hear them :)

B. Kachel
05-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Hey Scott. I think the ship is a little too sharp. Especially the tips. I would consider adding a very small amount of grain to the ship and your painted elements. Try softening up some of the mechanical details as well, and maybe try adding some other details like antennas. The trees on the hill next to the ship especially are a little soft. They look hand painted. I think if you toned down some of the glow around the trees it would bring it together even more. Try using some photo reference there. But I really like what you have done. It is almost to the point to where it looks like it actually belongs there.

Hope this helps
-Brandon

Scott Keating
05-05-2006, 05:41 PM
B. Kachel : Thanks! I see what you're saying about the trees, they are mostly hand-painted. I'll take a look at what I can do about that.

I was looking at your webpage, by the way, and I meant to ask you about some of your mattes. I was wonderin especially on the footage of the person walking up a a hill, which pans up to reveal a castle, etc.

Did you use any 3d software? if not, how did you keep the matte painting 'in perspective'. Generally a pan will cause the perspective to shift slightly as you pan up or down, but your footage seems pretty solid. I've been struggling with this in After Effects, any tips?

B. Kachel
05-05-2006, 05:50 PM
That shot is entirlely 2d. In the original footage there is no visible perspective change. It is almost more of a tilt. And with a tilt there is usually no perspective change. But there was a ton of lens distortion that needed to be dealt with. Depeding on how drastic the camera change is you may need to project the painting onto cards in 3D and match the camera that way. Otherwise you could try and do it in 2.5D.