PDA

View Full Version : All brush tips?

Tightpantsarecool
04-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I've seen where people do an all brush "plate" to set up how they want their final image to be, but I've been really interested in some that look like they are nothing but brushing...no pictures used.

But, is there any pictures done with all brushing? I was looking at the gallery above, and some looked like it.

And, my original question, are there any tips on how to brush a sorta realistic piece? So far, none of mine have proper shadows and lighting. I tried many different colors and opacities, but it never really changed anything.

I'll have my recent piece up soon, but it's nowhere near finished.

RiKToR
04-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Brushing can be done but it's long and teadious work, matte paintings origins are oil painting on glass, no photos. Photos are quick way for detail without a ton of time. If you look at sketch forum you can see any number of images painted with just brush strokes, stuff from Alp are very detailed brush only. The idea is with large brush strokes build a composition of shapes and values, then refine the shapes so there are more in the shapes you need and more details are added in, pregressively until your piece gets more detailed. One thing that helps for incinuated detail is if you paint double your final resolution and then down res/scale to the desired size. It will nicely compress detail.

If you have the cash Gnomons got a few DVD's that will help;

Ryan Church, for digital painting / concept art
Scott Robertson for digital painting / concept art
Dylan Cole for digital painting / matte painting

The Dusso DVD's are good but not as informative as the above. Scott Robertson has a very unique technique that is awsome. If you are looking for some free stuff I may be able to put together a tutorial and post it here though there are better artist about.

Tightpantsarecool
04-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks. I have the money, it's just not for the dvds. And, if you could put the links here, that be great.

adam
04-26-2006, 07:38 PM
It's possible to achieve realistic results solely with brush work,
with close observation & practice. I've posted a couple paintings in the
Artist Showcase forum recently that were done between 2-3 hrs each.
I should probably invest more time to render them more photo real,
but realistic results can be achieved by brush work in a timely fashion.
Have a look at my website to see a couple more. Peter Ellenshaw
is great at realistic painting, and others too. Mike Pangrazio's
snow paintings in The Empire Strikes Back are amazing!
-AH

RiKToR
04-26-2006, 09:03 PM
I am working on doing a matte painting session for my school's photoshop workshops they hold on the weekend I may try making a video and or posting tutorials from it, I will try to work on a detailed painting for that to post a breakdown of. I'll PM you when I get closer to being done.

Tightpantsarecool
04-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Adam- Thank you. Your pictures on your website are great. They look cool.

Riktor- Okay, I'll be waiting. :D

tobiasth
04-27-2006, 11:51 PM
there is a very good brushset available from inetgrafx aka Daniel Kvasznicza!
take a look at his webside http://www.inetgrafx.at/ and go to "download".