PDA

View Full Version : Castle and marshlands ( Update! )

Scott Keating
04-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Here's a new matte painting I"m attempting in my free time. I've got it laid out in a way I pretty much like, but I'm having trouble finding photo's to flesh it out. Can anyone recommend a good site for marsh/bog/scotland/ landscape photography?

Any crits are more than welcome :)

sketch:

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/kkeating/CastleMatte.jpg

In Prog:

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/kkeating/CastleMatteCopy.jpg

Thanks!

Tightpantsarecool
04-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I cant wait to see the final result.

But, I have a question....why did you paint thta, but then want pictures? Is the painting only for an "outline"? Like a base?

Scott Keating
04-25-2006, 01:13 PM
But, I have a question....why did you paint thta, but then want pictures? Is the painting only for an "outline"? Like a base?

Well, I suppose the painting lets me work out the composition and color and everything without having to worry about what photo's I have available.

The photo's let me do something ultra-realistic without having to go in and paint every single little detail....I guess :)

Glad you like it so far.

Tightpantsarecool
04-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Well, I suppose the painting lets me work out the composition and color and everything without having to worry about what photo's I have available.

The photo's let me do something ultra-realistic without having to go in and paint every single little detail....I guess :)

Glad you like it so far.

Yeah, it looks really good. And, I see your point, but now...I have another(lol). Since you painted the castle as it is, are you looking for a castle like that? Because what if you cant find one like that, or any other pictures able to combine to make that?

Scott Keating
04-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah, it looks really good. And, I see your point, but now...I have another(lol). Since you painted the castle as it is, are you looking for a castle like that? Because what if you cant find one like that, or any other pictures able to combine to make that?

Yeah, I'll have to find a bunch of different pieces of architecture and stitch them together, probably with a bit of painting, in order to get the look I want. Or if I'm lucky I might find one that just looks like that :)

Tightpantsarecool
04-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I'll have to find a bunch of different pieces of architecture and stitch them together, probably with a bit of painting, in order to get the look I want. Or if I'm lucky I might find one that just looks like that :)

Oh, okay. I like it just by itself, all brushing. I think I might try something like that...hopefully it'll turn out okay. But, I have a problem with the textures and colors, it never looks realistic.

Ricardo Garces
04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi Scott,

the Country with more strange looking castles I know, is Germany. Just search the internet for pictures on them, and you will be amazed. The counties you might be interested are the ones closer to the Alps, Baden Wutemberg and Bavaria. Check for Sigmaringen Schloss, Burg Hohenzollern, and Schloss Lichstenstein (?correct spelling?). I have pictures of them all, if you like any of them give me your email, and I will send them to you.

Regarding Internet high quality pictures, check http://www.sxc.hu you will almost certainly find everything you are looking for.

I am also looking forward for the complete image. Keep up the good work.

Best regards.

Scott Keating
04-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Wow, thanks Ricardo, that's really helpful. I'll check into those castles you mentioned when I get around to designing it more completely. the SXC stock photo page was new to me, so thanks for the heads up :)

Scott Keating
04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Here's an update. I'm having some trouble with the forground in terms of finding good photo's. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know :) Thanks!

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/kkeating/CastleMatteCopy3.jpg

Tightpantsarecool
04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Im not sure what you're looking for, but Mayang.com and Imageafter.com have good stuff.