PDA

View Full Version : A City's Fall....first matte

Tightpantsarecool
04-23-2006, 03:06 PM
This is my first matte; using pictures and a lot of brushing. A few textures here and there, but nothing too extreme. This is my final image, but like I said....it's my first matte. So be gentle! lol

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8815/acitysfallbyxbrianxbrianx4zw.jpg

Oh yeah, I was looking at a tutorial and it said to sharpen, duplicate the layer, give it a high brightness/contrast, blur, then blend. And thats what it did. It gave me a really sharpened look, but I like it.

Tightpantsarecool
04-25-2006, 05:28 PM
44 page views, and not a single comment? What ashame. I check back all day while Im at school, to see...nothing.

:D

Kyole
04-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I like it over all but seems you need smaller detail on your brush work. there dirt work on the foreground buildings seems to be the same scale as those in the background

Tightpantsarecool
04-25-2006, 05:54 PM
I like it over all but seems you need smaller detail on your brush work. there dirt work on the foreground buildings seems to be the same scale as those in the background

I never thought about that, thanks. It's really noticeable now that you said it. Ha.

RiKToR
04-26-2006, 12:14 AM
I'd have to say that there doesn't seem to be much depth to this image. Everything seems to be right out from with no atmospheric perspective.

edit... forgot to tell you how to add perspective sorry, one technique is to take the sky tone and use color overlay in your layer style to place the sky tone on your buildings, then drop the opacity so the orginal shows through.

Dream Artisan
04-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Nice start. I think the black clouds obscure too much to get a sense of the buildings form. Also, they should be more cloudlike--right now they lack form, look flat and it's hard to tell their shape because they are so dark. Try looking at some references of clouds and smoke. Also, you might have some rubble and portions of buildings destroyed for added effect. And remember, mattes follow cinematic proportions, as opposed to vertical like a painting. Keep us posted.

Tightpantsarecool
04-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Nice start. I think the black clouds obscure too much to get a sense of the buildings form. Also, they should be more cloudlike--right now they lack form, look flat and it's hard to tell their shape because they are so dark. Try looking at some references of clouds and smoke. Also, you might have some rubble and portions of buildings destroyed for added effect. And remember, mattes follow cinematic proportions, as opposed to vertical like a painting. Keep us posted.

Thanks. I tried to get rocks and other textures mixed in there, but it looked weird...even with the opacity down. I think it was because it's too dark, like you said. But, I dont plan on going back and fixing it. Thanks again.

Dream Artisan
04-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks. I tried to get rocks and other textures mixed in there, but it looked weird...even with the opacity down. I think it was because it's too dark, like you said.

Try doing a Google on demolitions. Reference images are a must when building mattes.

But, I dont plan on going back and fixing it. Thanks again.

I think a goal to shoot for is to make them look as good as you can, and that may mean multiple revisions. If you would rather not work this some more, keep at it with other images. Adding smoke and lightning make this even more challenging (which are done as post effects comped over).

Dream Artisan
04-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks. I tried to get rocks and other textures mixed in there, but it looked weird...even with the opacity down. I think it was because it's too dark, like you said.

Try doing a Google on demolitions. Reference images are a must when building mattes.

But, I dont plan on going back and fixing it. Thanks again.

I think a goal to shoot for is to make them look as good as you can, and that may mean multiple revisions. If you would rather not work this some more, keep at it with other images. Adding smoke and lightning make this even more challenging (which are done as post effects comped over), so starting simpler is not a bad thing.

FES
04-29-2006, 10:10 AM
I like the concept. The major problem I see with this is the scale of the brushing. The other problem is there is a lot of black on this and it seems just kinda of random, not like a consistent lighting effect if that is your goal...hope this helps :)