PDA

View Full Version : Mattepainting - Paraíso

thomaskrahn
04-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Hi there everyone! :)

It's been a while since I've last posted something in here... been really busy in High School.
But a couple of weeks ago I found the time to attempt another mattepainting, so I wouldn't forget everything I've learned. Here it is...

http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Images/Galleryimages/Tropical/Para%EDso_img.jpg

I just wanted to try out some new techniques, but mostly try painting details and other key elements, rather than using photos for everything. The waterfalls and a lot of the foreground vegetation are for example all painted in Photoshop.

Inspired by Dylan Cole's matte painting DVD's. I hope you like it.
Criticism is most welcome.

thomaskrahn
04-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Here's the initial sketch:

http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Images/Galleryimages/Tropical/Para%EDso_sketch.jpg

tobiasth
04-22-2006, 06:12 AM
its amazing, great job!!!

zoki
04-22-2006, 07:08 AM
very good and fresh!
nice work
tobiasth!
z

tobiasth
04-22-2006, 08:48 AM
very good and fresh!
nice work
tobiasth!
z

hu ? :roll:

zoki
04-22-2006, 10:42 AM
what did you mean with hu?
i cant help it if its nice and good its good, thats it :mrgreen:

plaf
04-22-2006, 12:15 PM
i believe he means that this image wasn't posted by him, but by thomas krahn. (hi there =) nice piece, as usual)

zoki
04-22-2006, 01:06 PM
hahaha
my mistake sorry
nice work
thomaskrahn
z

Roop
04-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Really nice piece Thomaskrahn.
I'm amazed to see that your only 17 and still in High school. very impressive.

Great job and keep it up. Best of luck to you!
Roop

kmblackbear06
04-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Very very nice man, I find only two things in the piece that may need a bit of fixing... The top edge of the puffy cloud on the left side looks a lil rough/the color may be a bit off but not by much. Is it a repeated version of the cloud on the right? Could be a layering property issue. It works well against the dark blue bg, but on the lighter blue it creates a bit of distracting appearance.

VERY MINOR DETAIL might I add, the piece is awesome, and I hope to see more of your work. 17.... Damn I should have chosen a studio art major in college.... Nice work, congrats.

RiKToR
04-23-2006, 01:06 AM
The composition is pretty solid but a few things I see are the colour seems a little to saturated but thats truly your choice. Lastly the clouds seem to be a little to much and not falling in atmospheric perspective the like the background mountains are.

Nice to see follow through from concept to final, good work!