PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic landscape

Mdalaran
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi there...

I was just doing this matte as a practise... I just started quick and after a while... I kept working on it. I think I have 3 or 4 different versions of this one... and none of them is good enought I think... but feel free to give comments and crits... and will try to update it...

used 11 different reference images...

Greetz,
Mdalaran

http://home.planet.nl/~verh2976/private_cg/volcano_matte.jpg

Haman
10-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Really nice work... I think you're almost there, but the bats feel a bit odd, maybe if they were on the right side of the image, all the interest in the scene is currently on the left. Also, the lava feels pretty muddy, maybe it would help having a couple rivers of bright glowing lava coming out of the cracks.

chris_mac
10-26-2004, 02:51 AM
Great work... I love the sky and the clouds.

I agree the bats feel a little weird though.

Mdalaran
10-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanx for the comments guys...

Yeah the bats where just a quick scribble in PS... and I am pretty bad a painting... so I removed them again... so here's a version wthout the strange bats... haha... :)

Greetz,
Mdalaran

http://home.planet.nl/~verh2976/private_cg/volcano_matte_2.jpg

StickyLabel
10-26-2004, 11:19 AM
I really like the idea of watching the eruption from this nice dark rocky outcrop on the right.

Mdalaran
10-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Hi thanks for your reply StickyLabel...

Somehow I have the feeling the painting can be some more dramatic... don't really know how at the moment. I want to animate this painting later on... very subtle...

Any suggestions on how to make this painting some more dramatic..?

Greetz,
Mdalaran

Mdalaran
10-28-2004, 02:08 AM
Anybody?

AJ
10-28-2004, 05:11 AM
How about some more lava?

Brighter cracks or streams in the volcano sides, and some cracked and dangerous looking lava flows on the plains, reaching towards the viewer.

Maybe some lava fireballs crashing down from the summit onto the plain?

Horg
10-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Maybe add a brighter light source that is low on the horizon? This way the edges of the foreground objects would be lit a little which would break the huge dark area on the right. The only thing that bothers me is the right part, too dark (on my screen at least).

Mdalaran
11-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi guys...

thanx for your comments... havent had much to work on it... but here's an update... let me know what you think...

http://home.planet.nl/~verh2976/private_cg/evil_matte_7.jpg

Greetz,
Mdalaran

bcottman
11-06-2004, 09:41 AM
I think the details on the foreground need to continue a bit further into space.. they stop kind of abruptly.. Also, I think the range in contrast bettween the foreground and background is to similar.
cool image though.. keep it up
brenton

Luxo_Jr
11-08-2004, 05:44 AM
That's a great image. Except the fireball in the pic doesn't look right, the edges of it, like the contrast or brightness seems to make it stand out too much. I can't quite put my finger on it. And definitely add something in the middle I reckon, something that leads the viewers eyes to the centrl point of interest.

AJ
11-08-2004, 05:54 AM
I preffered the volcano in the earlier versions, it now seems to be seperated from the landscape by the lines of lava underneath it, makes it look much more 'pasted on' that it was before.

Could you maybe have deep cracks and veins of lava reaching out towards the viewer across the landscape? Or how about a skeleton or something in the foreground somewhere, something to underline the danger in this area?

I thought this because the round rocks in the forground kind of looked a little like skulls (maybe been watching too much 'Terminator'!)

Necros
11-08-2004, 06:50 AM
First, please forget about my english writing, because I'm French :oops:
Ok, so I live in a volcanic Island, Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean. So last month we had a "coulée" (run, flow of magma) wich have meet the sea ! I've taken some pictures like this one, if it can help you...

Earth VS Sea ! Earth 1 - Sea 0

http://www.membres.lycos.fr/necrospatriarch/MATTE/DSC04871S.jpg

the link Hi-Res (http://www.membres.lycos.fr/necrospatriarch/MATTE/DSC04871.JPG)

slump
11-08-2004, 07:13 AM
I don't know the reason, but i prefer the 2nd one version. When i looked that i sad "where are Frodo and Sam?". Just a suggestion, the rock in the lowest area of the picture, need a little bit more detail and contrast.

Mdalaran
11-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Wow guys... I am overwhelmed by the replies... thats awsome... :)

I felt obliged to do an update... with all the comments... so I started...

hope you guys see any improvement... and keep telling me wich direction to go...

bscottman: I think your right on the foreground part and tried to improve that. Thanx

Luxo_Jr: The fireball looked indeed a little fake... so I tried to mess with the values...

AJ: Hahaha no I didnt watch too much Terminator... I feel ya on the 2nd version part... It seems more realistic but not that interresting and dramatic as the last version. So I need to tweak between them

Necros: Wow cool that you took some pics... So your actually living in a live Matte Painting ;) Thanks for your help... I added the image to my reference library.

Slump: Yes your right ... like I said before... trying to make it look more dramatic... thanks for your comment.

So here the update... tell me what you think guys....

http://home.planet.nl/~verh2976/private_cg/evilup.jpg

Mdalaran
11-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi there...

Was wondering if anybody has some reference on fireball stuff. Maybe a strange question... but still I am tweaking with the fireball... but I dont seem to be satisfied with it... Or does anybody know where to go with it?

Btw... anybody comments ont the above update already? :lol:

Greetz
Mdalaran

Mdalaran
11-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi guys...

No comments?
:?

slump
11-17-2004, 12:03 AM
asked for a reply? here is the reply :D

I love your work, only thing i dislike is the fired rock in the sky. I think that attract too mutch the attenction.

mgiaro
11-17-2004, 03:46 AM
the fireball is too big and out of perspective... (ehi, this is my opinion!!! :lol: )

the rest is very impressive. Good!

Mdalaran
11-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi guys...

Thanks for your replies... appreciate it a lot... :) still trying to get this matte even better... and for that... I need your opinions... so thanks...

Mgairo and Slump... both your comments were directed on the fireball... so I just removed it for now till I have a better version of it. I added some lensflare... haze effects to give it some more atmosphere... I am not fullt satisfied with it... maybe it distracts too much...

Greetz,
Mdalaran

http://www.dalaranfx.com/evil_matte_6.jpg

slump
11-17-2004, 09:06 AM
The light is a good idea, but it's too intense, i think it would be great if you made it filtering between the clouds. If you choose to mantain it, i suggest you to increase the highlights on the rocks to add more contrast.