PDA

View Full Version : When the sun beats down...

hardy
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi! I was try to do this collage like fairy-tale illustration.
Hope you like it. :)

http://hardy.dp.ua/_lj/castle_for_jam.jpg

Espnetboy3
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
It looks magical I love it. What inspirations for this piece? A small breakdown would be great.
The only thing would be the lighting on the trees in the center foreground is not correct but im not gonna lie it does look nice having it and sometimes thats more important at least for movies.

Brandon
03-23-2006, 08:23 PM
only problem i ahve with this piece is a scale issue, the castle seems waaaaaaayyy too big foir its surroundings.

plaf
03-24-2006, 01:21 AM
I think that while there are some technically well-composited elements, there are major issues with this.

- there are two types of sky (mid-day / sunset) that don't correspond to each other
- the lighting on the central mountain is very weird, you can't really tell from which direction it's coming
- The mountain lighting issue applies to the buildings as well which, as was said, are too massively huge.
- position and colour of the lighting on the foreground trees doesn't correspond to where the sun is (why is the entire left (and far right) fore- and background in shadow?
- the mountains in the background are still lit (you can see the hard shadows from daylight on there, though it's been dimmed down a bit)

Sorry to be so harsh, but if your goal is realism - then in my humble opinion this piece still needs a lot of work.

hardy
03-24-2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks for your comments.
I find useful information for the future. :)

nickmarshallvfx
03-24-2006, 04:06 AM
hmmm i can't see it :(

tobiasth
03-27-2006, 07:01 AM
its very eye catching first, but i agree with brandon and plaf!

hardy
03-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks a lot for your comments.
I fixed image and add some new elements.

I hope this version look better.

nickmarshallvfx
03-30-2006, 03:31 PM
The new image is much better, good job. The only small issue i still have is that the perspective on the castle seems different to the perspective on the terrain. I think the vanishing point on the castle is lower than the terrain?

Nick

hardy
03-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks! =o)

Yes, you right about castle pespective, but i don't know how to fix this error :oops:

nickmarshallvfx
03-31-2006, 04:58 AM
yea i am only new to this myself so im not sure i can really help, but if the castle is in a leyer of its own (in PS) then maybe just using the free transform tool enlarge the top of the building - thus changing the perspective angle - would be anough to sort the problem.
I really love the image though, do you have any pictures of the images you used for your source?

Nick

hardy
03-31-2006, 05:37 AM
=o)
I will try to fix pespective, thnx!

Source of image below:

http://hardy.dp.ua/_lj/castle_source.jpg

Da_Elf
03-31-2006, 06:44 AM
main problem right there with the castle is that its shot on an overcast day so its got no shadows on it. with it being lit from that angle in your composition it should have some self shadowing. if you rebuilt the castle in something ike image modeler by real-viz then used the image as a texture map you can cut down on building plygons and the texture will be perfect since the overcast day give you a good texture map. then the 3d model will be lit giving you more realistic shadows on the surface. (i know thats alot of work when there are quicker photoshop methods to use hehe)

hardy
03-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Right. Shadows on castle in not perfect. =o( But a don't have any skills in 3d modelling. =o(

I was made this pucture for some competition, where important part of rules is using this castle image.
=o)

nickmarshallvfx
03-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Did you win? :D

Where are you getting your images from? Got some nice ones, i like the clouds in particular.
What size did you make this painting?

Nick

hardy
03-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Competition is still go on. =o)

Some part of images I was find in google, some on http://imageafter.com/.

Panorams is my friend's photos.

I post this picture in original size. =o)

elnady
04-25-2006, 10:07 AM
really nice work
I like the colors alot :)