PDA

View Full Version : Westcoast BC(first post)

PXLPropheT
03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi guy's This is my first post here;But ive been watching for a while now:)
I really want to be able to do what you guys do :) Here's my first post.Is this considered a matte painting? I tend to paint more than pull out matte's:( im still learning to extract tree's and thing's and cant really do it yet,but im trying to get it lol. Ilook FWD to all of your advice. and am pround be be a member now of this community. tks
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/IskiW/westcoast-BC-FIN-post.jpg

Roop
03-08-2006, 08:19 PM
This painting is really good. It has some really nice colors in it.

Nice Job. :wink:

PXLPropheT
03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Thank you :)

Sebastian Kaine
03-11-2006, 04:38 AM
I really love it ! great techniks , great color !

if you want to enhance it maybe a little more work on the upper part of the sky ! We can't feel so much Volume in it , maybe it looks a litlle bit Flat ?

PXLPropheT
03-13-2006, 09:47 AM
thanks yes i agree i need to paint the sky better :) thank you for your comments and advice.

moakley
10-14-2008, 09:08 AM
This is VERY nice! I think it's almost a matte. I'd use photo's to layer on detail, like in the rocks. Do that as a subtle overlay here and there and that will bring out the details a bit more. Try www.cgtextures.com for some top texture ref :) Great job though mate, beautifully rendered :)

moakley
10-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Here's a VERY rough example of what I mean. A painting can't really (these days with the vast improvement of resolution and clarity) completely hide the painted feel. I grabbed a few random images from Google and subtly overlaid them over your painting. It's not perfect but it does demonstrate the instant increase in detail you can obtain with this process :) Oh, and I applied diffused sun in the sky too. To me it seemed to be missing with relation to the lighting on the beach itself.

http://d.imagehost.org/0016/matte_exampleb.jpg

nickmarshallvfx
10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey mate, good to see you posting here! (remember me from the speed painting thread on CA.org?)
I like your painting, and think that with your painting skills you will be producing solid matte paintings in no time!
As for integratng photos, that is something you will get the hang of pretty quickly i think. Check out Dylan Coles Advanced Matte Painting dvd for some good info on working with photos.

Do a bit of study on exposure. That will tell you that the sky is often the brightest area in a shot, and seeing as the highlights on the rocks are so bright, you would expect the sky to be very bright too.
I disagree with Moakley about the sun though, i think maybe you could have brightened that left side a little more to really show the suns direction, but having the sun in the middle there completely ignores the lighting in the rest of the painting.

Look forward to seeing your future work; once you get thru the stages of getting used to adding photos, i think you will be producing some great mattes.

Nick