PDA

View Full Version : House at sunset

Sebastian Kaine
03-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Hy matte painters from the globe ! :D

It's my first post here! i'm working on my first matte as a school project ! The exercices is to put a house in a snowy environment ! (very original :wink: ) !

so here is the house !

http://appartager.free.fr/Perso/maison.jpg

and here is the WIP !

http://appartager.free.fr/Perso/matte_wip.jpg

Not so Much snow out There ! :wink:

so i'm trying to find a good method in order to put some soft snow on th e ground ! without loosing the volume !

i try those way without great success :
- duplicate layer + desaturation
- Create a brush + Paint on the ground
- take a snowy photo and create a vectoriel mask ...

well if you matte painters Guru have any suggestion i will really appreciate it !

more over if you have any tips for improving my work itwill be great !

Best Regards

S.K

ps : Forgive my strange english :wink:

Roop
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi Sebastian.
I say before moving onto the snow- you have issues with the perspective and lighting on the house. The vanishing point on the house is way below the horizon line.

As for the lighting, just go through and make sure that all the lighting is consistently coming from the same direction.

:wink:

Sebastian Kaine
03-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks For your reply Roop 8)

So my persp Problem is coming from the fact that the green and yellow line are not one the same plane ?

i don't really know what to do precisely to be in the good Persp for the house ? Ctrl+T on the House ? Reajusting the Horizon line ?

for the snow i got this with a
- duplicate ground layer
- invert layer
- desaturation
- color balance -> Soft Blue !

But it looks pretty bad ! and morover my house color looks ugly with the snow ...

Does a Pro has any idea ?

Sebastian Kaine
03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
here is a new wip after
- color correction
- persp correction

Finally my teacher is ok for keeping the pictures without any snow !

http://appartager.free.fr/Perso/wip_3.jpg

if you can help me to improve this stuff , with any advise it will be nice !

Dream Artisan
03-06-2006, 11:56 PM
The house perspective is still off. Try this: select the front of the house with the marquee. Then go to Edit>Transform>Distort. Now grab the top left corner, press the Shift key down, and drag the middle left point upward. That will make the perspective less extreme. Now do it to the other side of the house (from the corner and to the right). You might have to do the bay windows separately to avoid extreme distortion.

I think the branches are a bit distracting, especially those covering the house, which is the Focal Point of your image. And it could be cool to have the road go back around the house instead of off into the distance. Roads can be effective in leading the eye to the Focal Point.

Sebastian Kaine
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks For Help Dream Artisan :wink: !

- I will try to correct my persp with your tips
- In fact your right thats good idea, i'm gonna invert the end of the road in order to take the viewers eye on the focal point !

I think this matte is still looking Fake ! So if you guys have any idea or tips to make this better , i'll really appreciate this !

ral
03-08-2006, 09:23 AM
salut manu, c'est benoit
Effectivement, avec le recul la pers n'est pas correcte: plus tu reduis la maison dans l'image, plus ça accentue l'effet de courte focale sur la maison, hors le reste de ton paysage n'est pas pris avec une si courte focale. Le matte de Clement a un peu le même problème et je suis en train de poster une image sur le forum de l'école qui explique comment découper la maison pour corriger la pers.

Roop
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey Sabastian.
I had some free time so I thought I'd help give you some ideas. I did a little paint over for you. Hope it helps.
The main things that I did were-
- I increased the scale of the house and lifted it up to try to fix the perspective, I'm sure it could still use some tweeking.
- I color corrected the house. It had too much green in it.
- I took out the tree's in the foreground. They kept the viewer from entering into the scene. They were just too strong of a foreground element. I like the open space.
- And I obviously painted over much of the original sky. It was too strong.

Again, Hope this helps.
http://www.creativespot.org/post/data/500/medium/wip_3.jpg

Da_Elf
03-08-2006, 12:35 PM
that look nice. i agree the tree was taking away from the scene rather than adding to it

AA
03-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I like the paint over you did roop. This is looking cool !

Sebastian Kaine
03-08-2006, 01:50 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Roop You Rocks Man ! :D

Taking the time for helping me and make such a great Work ! i've meet few guys like you on the Web ! :D

in fact your Matte looks great , and if i had to resume your improvment !
=> Simplification & Harmonisation
- Good By Flashy Color !
- Good by elements , that disturb your attention !

The problem is that you've got some great painter skills ! I'm just a beginner student !

Can You send me your PSD file in order to see How you've done this great painting transformation ?

One More Time Thanks a Lot For your great Support ! :wink:

Roop
03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
No prob. Sebastian :wink:
Actaully, if I were to continue working on this painting, I'd probably bring back just a little of that pink color back into the sky. The key would be to make sure that it doesn't take away from the house, which is your main focal point. The best thing would be to have both the road and the sky push the viewers eye towards the house.

I'd probably work on the contrast of the entire peice. Could probably use some more contrast on the ground near the house. The shadow of the house.

I'll be more than happy to send you the file. It's jpeg. I painted it pretty loose. Anyway, post your email address or email it to me and I'll send it to you. :wink:

Sebastian Kaine
03-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Here is my mail Roop

SebastianKaine@Hotmail.fr

I Will Try to do My best to Reach your skills as soon as i can ! :D

Sebastian Kaine
03-13-2006, 04:27 PM
So here is another WIP !

this is still looking fake ! so if you can tell me what is wrong or what is missing i'd be great !

http://appartager.free.fr/Perso/wip_4.png