PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Legends matte paintings

dylan
03-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Hello all,

Here are some recent paintings I did for Blur Studio for a game trailer. The game is called Rise of Legends. I find matte painting for game trailers and cinemtatics to be quite fun because the shots are usually big and very dramatic.
First up is Cuotl City. Blur supplied me with some generic renders of some of the buildings and then I detailed them out and made a city. I painted this a 4096 pixels wide.
http://www.dylancolestudio.com/Matte/personal/images/CuotlCity.jpg
http://www.dylancolestudio.com/Matte/personal/images/CuotlCitydetail.jpg

Then we have the bad guy city. Blur again supplied me with some generic renders of individual buildings that I relit, detailed, and incorporated into a large city. The FG in the final trailer was all 3D done by blur, but this is just a temp FG I did. I did this at 3072 pixels wide.
http://www.dylancolestudio.com/Matte/personal/images/GlassDesert.jpg

http://www.dylancolestudio.com/Matte/personal/images/GlassDesertDetail.jpg

And then there is one of 2 big panoramas that serves as the backdrop for the main action of the trailer. I did this at 6144 pixels wide.

http://www.dylancolestudio.com/Matte/personal/images/VinciPano2_v02.jpg

Andz
03-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Really nice Dylan, I really like your paintings and the DVDs.

The first one is my favorite.

Matisse
03-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Dylan...incredible! Skys are amazing! I'm a huge fan of clouds, like the final scene you did for Van Helsing. Do you usually paint your skys or use images? (if you don't mind me asking)

kmblackbear06
03-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Your stuff is amazing as always. I really enjoy seeing your work, and can't get enough of it. I am gearing up to go to art school in Cali within a year or two... wow Maine to Cali.

Your work is very inspirational, and I hope you continue for a looooong time as a matte painter. These images have some really amazing lighting that I can learn from, and some great atmospheric elements in them that will help me out. Who knows maybe someday I will be lucky enough to become a professional matte painter... Until then, back to the books.

As for the D'artiste Matte Painting book article... Your mom must have loved the Star Destroyer Mothers Day card haha. Great article Dylan. Keep it up.

Dream Artisan
03-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for sharing, Dylan. Nice work.

Regarding the large 6144 pixel image, did you create this at this size for a reason? Is there a pan involved?

Eisner
03-02-2006, 01:58 PM
nice! check out the trailer on gametrailers.com

Robert junggeburt
03-03-2006, 02:09 AM
looks great I love them all, I like these alot.

The top one is great and i really enjoy looking at the 2nd one.

Quick question, the green mountains, feels it comes from the same environment pics, that youve used in many of your prevous paintings Tropical city, color scape, delta,

very surreal feeling, interesting to see them with a camera move and integration's, Been trying to find the right trailer. i've found trailers just not the right one.

http://gametrailers.com/search.php went to this site to search for it as mentioned above, if anyones got a linky to whereabouts where this trailer is.

cheers !

de gerardo
03-03-2006, 04:23 AM
:wink: your works is amazing!!! If you work a simply box-it will be amazing..., all your works is very very nice :wink:

Have you a nice day: dE Gerardo:: : www.degerardo.szm.sk (http://www.degerardo.szm.sk) :

de gerardo
03-03-2006, 04:31 AM
:shock: ouch, adn Dylan, when will be new d`artiste:matte-painting book
I hope, that will be.. :cry: :wink:

swoop
03-03-2006, 06:15 AM
very nice.

I really like this kind of work.

You're a great reference for our own work !

++ :)

dylan
03-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks all!

Andz-thanks, the first one is my favorite as well.

Matisse-Thanks, I like dramatic skies as well. It is usually a combination of images and paint.

KMBlackbear-thank you, I appreciate it. Good luck woith art school. I'm glad you liked the d'artiste article. She still has that card!

Dream Artisan -Thanks....big painting for panorama, used throughout several scenes.

Robert junggeburt -Thank you, I am glad you like them. Yep, I use a lot of the same images, if it aint broke don't fix it. They are a bunch of things I shot in NZ.

de gerardo -thanks, no new d'artiste matte painting book planned. If they do one, it will probably be new artists.

swoop- thanks, I would love to see what you are doing that this would be a reference for.

swoop
03-03-2006, 01:06 PM
by reference, I mean a model !

I'd love to paint like you do ...but not yet unfortunatly...but I work hard...
:roll:

SOE digital
03-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Wow Dylan, the sky on the last image is freaking awsome. So is the lighting.
Brilliant work.

tobiasth
03-07-2006, 01:50 AM
they all looks nice, great job!

Sebastian Kaine
03-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Hy Dylan !

That's a fantastic Job ! The two first are simply perfect ! 8) For the third it doesn't bring you into another Great Universe like the other there is not enough element in my opinion ! Moreover the contrast beetween soft Pink (sky) & Hard Green (jungle) is a little to high for me!

But for cooking a great sky ! your the Man !

sankara
03-08-2006, 12:01 AM
HI DYLAN,
AMAZING GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT WORK,IAMUR GREAT FAN FRM INDIA,HAVU SEEN MY WORK,
TOPIC: TROPICAL CITY,THATS INSPIRATION FROM UR TROPICAL CITY,
ITS MY FIRST MATTE WORKDONE BY MOUSE,IDONT HAVMONEY TO BUY PENPAD,CDS,BOOKS.IAM COLLECTING THE TROPICAL CITY DEMONSTRATIONS PIC FORM VARIOUS WEBSITES,GNOMON,URS ETC..
IAM WAITING FOR UR REPLY,IAMVERY HAPPY IF U GAVEME ENCOURAGEMENTS

SEE TROPICAL CITY IN FORUM TOPIC:SHOW CRITICS.......... WIP
WAITINGFOR UR REPLY
SANKARA
sankaravfx@yahoo.com

cserbuj
03-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Hi Dylan! GReat work!!
It's not a surprise, all your works are great. I am glad to see new works from you.

I like mattepaintings since i discovered them, time ago, and your work really inspired me. Really i am now doing a scene, and i felt inspired by your works on it. I learned a lot just looking to your images.

Best regards....

I have a question about them , in general, but i will post it in other section of the forum.

dylan
03-08-2006, 10:12 AM
thanks again.

Sebastian Kaine -Thanks, I agree with you about the 3rd painting not standing on its own as well, I think the main difference is that the other two were stand alone shots, while that was just a generic panorama that had a lot of other elements and action happening in front of it. Also one of the things about video games is that they often have heightened colors because it is not reality. Not one of these paintings has real world color, it is just about trying to make it work in the context of the game and the cinematic.

sankara -thank you, I will take a peek at your painting.

cserbuj, tobiasth, SOE digital - thanks a lot!

Sebastian Kaine
03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes dylan !

i Agree don't need to have real color , To make masterpiece ! And this reminds me one of my favorite painter : Joseph Turner ! I assume you know him ! This guy was making the same job as You 200 years ago :wink: ! And some of your sky have the same complexity ! Hope you like Him :D !

In fact he use strange colors sometime ! But at the end he was an ultimate Sky-Cooker Jedi ! :wink:

here are two paintings that reminds me the atmosphere of your Mattes !

http://appartager.free.fr/Perso/dylan.jpg

Cathy
03-09-2006, 10:14 AM
As always - a master work!! Thanks for sharing with us Dylan.

-Cathy :D

kindool
03-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Your sky and your vegetation are always very nice! I really love the "fantastic" color you use in the first matte. But where is the sun ? It seems to be in front of the observer, and I think you can see a rainbow only when you have the sun behind you.
Is the design of constructions made by you or do you work with a sketch done by an other artist ?
Like Cathy said, Thanks for sharing ;)

EdBabb
04-17-2006, 10:23 AM
fantastic work, as usual.

sdftrd
05-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Dylan:

The first one, Cuotl City, is wonderful. It almost reminds me of the Hudson school. Great work. You've inspired me.

Tom

NickATnitE
06-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Hello all,

Cgsociety recently posted an article about this game which has the trailer for download via quicktime. so If you want to see these beautiful shots moving...
go here

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3597

Nice work Dylan,

and Blur Of course...

Valentin
08-15-2006, 04:15 AM
Hi Dylan.

Nice job, good ambience....

....I just finished a film with a couple of mattes and ran into thoughts on bit depths.

In your work, do consider the bit depth or do you always work in 10 or 16 bit? The mentioned movie was made in 8 bit and a snowy matte landscape with a lot of gradients went.... you can guess :)

And now that I got your attention, at what oversize(-resolution) do you work the most?

Thanks a lot for your time.

best

Niels Valentin, matte artist, Denmark

Kaek
08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
AWESOOOMEE WORK!!!, i love the bad guy city :o , the atmosphere is perfect

shahenJ
01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Nice work dylan I really like you colors very Epic.