PDA

View Full Version : First time post

digitalsabre
03-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this site and was blown away by the all the work I've seen posted. I've just recently got into matte painting and am a complete novice when it comes to digital painting. This just a little sketch that I attempted on Alias Sketchbook Pro. I hope it's not too big. I would love to hear any critiques that may help me to improve...thanks!

http://www.studiomeridian.com/Paints/Sketch01.jpg

Dream Artisan
03-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Yes, it is a bit large. Can you reduce the linked image like 50%.

I think it's a good start. If you're sketching rocks, you should avoid using an airbrush or soft brush to texture it--keep your brush edges hard. A good exercise is to find an image on the web for reference and practice trying to emulate it in lighting, color, and texture.

If you wish to do matte paintings or concepts, I would focus on completing the scene or environment in cinematic proportions. One thing to note, which a lot of people miss here, is that matte paintings are often liveplate set extensions. In other words, live plate elements are composited over the matte. So if you keep that in mind, your work will look more like a matte than just an illustration (i.e. no characters or moving objects).

Looking forward to seeing a whole scene.

digitalsabre
03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks, Dream Artisan! I will definitely take your advice about the use of brushes. Texture, lighting and color is another thing I need to do some homework on. Hopefully you'll see some kind of improvement in future postings!...and they will be full scene postings!

Loki
03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Artisan is totally right. Working on a complete scene will also help you with getting a coherent lighting going.

I think soft brushes/brushstrokes is a thing we all do/did when starting out. There are two things to counter it IMHO:
* make your own custom brushes that are tuned to have a sharp edge and vary in opacity and not flow (for PS)
* up the resolution to something quite beyond 1:1 screen resolution.