PDA

View Full Version : Asylum

Haman
10-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey all, I'm new to this site, and pretty new to the world of matte painting, but here's a sample of my work. It's the interior of a vast asylum. I intend to add a few figures in there, to better define the scale. I apologize if it's slow to show, aol's been a bit lagging.

http://www.mattepainting.org/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/430.jpg

Haman
10-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Sorry, make that painfully slow! :cry:

Tchook
10-23-2004, 03:00 AM
nice comp
i like it very much, very creepy remind me M.C. Escher works
and you are right,add a character maybe on the platform, under the light on the far left of the image :beer:

stevenbray1
10-23-2004, 04:16 AM
Nice work! Are we talking 3D or Photoshop?

And yes, AOL is v-e-r-y--s-l-o-w, if you can find another host for your pics that would be great!

Haman
10-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey, thanks for the comments! I made a basic model in maya, and then photoshopped it from there. It was mostly a time-saving thing. I'd like to find something other than aol, but I have yet to explore my options... I've got to figure out what my options are, given a student's budget :)

rrische
10-24-2004, 02:59 AM
This is very very nice!

renderizer
10-24-2004, 05:06 AM
Wow, some really good work. Great design, spooky atmosphere - it's all there.

What's left to say? Well, yes - maybe the addition of some characters could add to the impact of the image.

Thumbs up!

Pilou
10-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Really cool stuff!
You should make more light coming from the lower part :wink:
Another thing, the stairs don't look very good, there are too "cubic", add some dirt stuff on them!

Luxo_Jr
11-08-2004, 08:02 AM
Creepy and doomy but I like the mood conveyed in it.
A few tips about hosting, like you Im a student too and have found that Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com) is quite good and Fotopic (http://www.fotopic.net) are quite good picture hosting services if you're interested.

Haman
11-13-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey, thanks for the comments. At some point in the near future, I will update this... the comment about the stairs is great, I'll definately work on that... and I'd like to put some hidden details in there too, to give some payoff for anyone who looks at it long enough :-)

Thanks Luxo for the tips about hosting, I'll look into those sites.

Jensen
11-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Nice work Haman! It has an excellent vastness and grungy feel, which is really working. Other than the previous suggestions, the only thing that grabs me is the upper back corner. Perhaps some subtle underlighting, or some soft bounce from the right and left walls will suggest the space back there a bit more than what's present. It's just interfering with the upper platform imo. And maybe adding some specular highlights on a few of the railings or posts to seperate the platforms from eachother a little more might be worth checking out. Also, the strong light on the left is really a nice touch, and besides the stairs, I'd only suggest letting the light play a little more on the unlit surfaces. That horizontal shadow from that pillar where it goes pitch black on the platform, you might want to soften as it gets further away, and you can bounce some of the light off the poles into the shadows - and could do the same thing on the right side of the platform that's coming towards us....this is all little stuff, but I thought I'd throw em out there.

Very engaging piece. Well done.