PDA

View Full Version : Planet WIP

metalliandy
02-26-2006, 09:13 AM
http://www.redravenrpg.com/Andy/metalliandy/pictures/planet%20wip.png
This is my First Matte wip, which i first began a few months ago, and then forgot about until today..lol :wink:
Any Comments and Crit. are welcome.
Thanks for looking. :D

Loki
02-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Hello!

I like the values the painting has but I think there are quite a few things to improve:

* look at photos of earth from space or other photos from probes taking photos of other planets in our solar system. What you will notice is that the 'terminator' (border between light and shadow) is very 'pointy' and sharp where it recedes at the poles. If you correct this it'll help a lot.

* clouds - the features seem a little bit too simple to convey realism through their shapes. Looking at satellite photos to see how those look and what the sunlight does to them as it passes through. Actually for the big features and distribution I recommend the old Apollo photos, as they are the only ones that are availiable that picture the earth that far out from space. All the shuttle/ISS stuff is low orbit and things look a lot different.

* Lastly I'd make the stars a lot brighter and bigger, otherwise they'd never show up on film.

:)