PDA

View Full Version : Student Matte Painting

grizzlybrice
02-25-2006, 12:37 AM
I am new here and this is my first post.
I did this matte painting for my greenscreen compositing class.
Let me know what you think.

http://static.flickr.com/37/104079279_e33046185f_o.jpg

Thanks.

The Grizz

Noel B
02-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Looks great !!

Dave L
02-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Nice start, I think it the sky seems cloudy enough to diffuse the shadows cast on the snow from the trees in the foreground. Snow is very reflective so the red in the sky would show up in the snow. You might want to take a closer look at the scale of the structures relative to the mountains and consider more atmospheric perspective. My eye keeps getting pulled to that large patch of bright white on the left, it seems way too bright for the rest of the image. Just some initial thoughts, keep at it.

grizzlybrice
02-25-2006, 11:57 PM
some color correcting done, trying to get it to be cooler (temperature)...

http://static.flickr.com/43/104520535_c9ddd07019_o.jpg

Matte Painting is addicting... heh.

The Grizz

kmblackbear06
02-26-2006, 06:36 AM
mmmmm, looking beautiful grizz. I am getting ready to do a snowy winter matte myself... The big snowstorm inspired me a little and I have plenty of reference pics now. Speaking of snow.... How did you paint the snow falling? Just a simple round brush / odd shaped brush at different sizes and opacities? I'm liking this one so far.

grizzlybrice
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I actually googled "falling snow" and found a nice image that was white falling snow on black. Easy to use. Just clone the snow you want and get rid of the repeating.

Glad you are liking it.

The Grizz

Loki
02-27-2006, 03:29 PM
That's a pretty cool start! I like the wide composition and the way the monastey sits on the mountain side.
There are a few things I would change though:

* tight now the eye is mostly drawn the the really bright fog patch on the left. One might be tempted to put some features into it, like a shadow of a mountain to the left. Since the light is very low, that might be a good opportunity. to do so. Also some midground elements between the hillside we're on and the far mountains might help to get more space into this image

* in my opinion the sky is out of scale and doesn't fit into an environment like this. It looks like we're high up in the mountains, yet we have this Florida thunderstorm clouds behind the ridge - for me it kills off a lot of the scale which the rest of the painting conveys so nicely. I'd actually start with selecting a sky that had the right light direction and looks like it fits to this Himalayan scene. Also pick one that justifies the blue shadows.

* I'd also redo the fog and use it as a feature that expands the space in your painting. Do it in layers and quite carefully instead of doing it in one wash. Hide some behind hills, wrap it around the edges - that can add a lot of dimension.

Nicely done otherwise!

:)