PDA

View Full Version : wiiiiiidescreen matte

biznet
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
hey guys let me know what you think about this.
And also i'm going to do a pan sequence (5 seconds) of this image sliding on the X axis but there is a problem ... i tried to render the cam mov and the animation is jumpy because the image is too large or maybe because the pan is too long ... so i rendered a pan with 60 frames a secondes and it seems to get better but it s not perfectly fluid yet. Any thoughts or experience ?

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1958/panoramicoriginal5aa.jpg

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6919/panoramic074ao.jpg

SOE digital
02-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Nice.
But one thing that stuck out like dog's bollocks was the lighting. Shadows are not matching between elements.

biznet
02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
thanks for the comment but could u be more precise ? cause i don t c what s wrong with the shadows except i exagerated a little. I spent a lot of time on this picture so i m not seeing all the flaws. Thanx for your help.

Dream Artisan
02-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Shadows should fall in the same direction. The shadows from your statues point upwards while the ones from the columns point downward. And the light rays reveal that the primary light source, the sun is almost vertical, and thus, your shadows would be much shorter than they are.

biznet
02-12-2006, 10:27 PM
of course .... thanks guys
Anything else ? Any thoughts about the pan animation problem ?

SOE digital
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Well what are you trying to render it in?
Is it a matte in a 3d app like MAX or is it a 2D pan in something like After Effects?

biznet
02-12-2006, 10:42 PM
it s just a *.psd for now and i tried both on a plane in 3dsmax and a sliding picture on after effects ... it gives me quite the same jumpy results.
Also i wanted to know ... do you think i need to set up planes of layers in a 3d software ? cauz it s just rotating the camera and not zooming nor travelling.

SOE digital
02-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Firstly, don't import it as a psd. Save it as a jpg.
And if you're panning, then I doubt you'll need seperate layers.
Although the structure on the right side of the image should be a seperate layer. Animated that at a different rate to the background to give the illusion of depth.

Most of all...experiment.

Dream Artisan
02-13-2006, 03:44 AM
Think about adding motion blur which should cure the bumpiness.
Also, to better simulate the camera panning, try projecting this onto a cylinder or dome and leaving the camera stationery.