PDA

View Full Version : Any VIDEO TUTORIAL on camera projection for Maya?

Manger
12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi!..

I know the answer is no, so.. this is more like a request:

Is it possible that someone, with free time, could make a -very fast, no detailed, no voice, no edition, square geometries- video tutorial of Camera Projection technique in Maya?

I mean, just to know the steps "visually" because I've read tutorials and, well, i'm a kind of noob in the "3d world".

I cant wait to try this technique with some works... is boring (and limited) to make them "2d" in After Effects ..as a composition

..also, Is this possible in Maya L.E. ?

Thanks and sorry bad english.

Germán-

bcottman
12-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry I cant post a video but here are some screen captures I took of the basic layout of a personal project I did a while ago.
http://brentoncottman.com/siteImages/mattes/CastleDraculaCamProjDetail.htm

and here is a link to the animation.
http://brentoncottman.com/CastleDraculaAnimation.htm

as for setting up the shader. I usually plug a projected texture into the incandescence of a lambert and turn down every thing else. (you can also plug it into the ambient color or use a constant shader). then set the projection type to perspective, link to a frozen version of the camera you rendered from, and set the fit type to resolution. also you should set the filter under "effects" in the file texture node to 0.

If you need an alpha projected as well you just link it to the same camera and plug it into the lamberts transparency. Also, I have to multiply the alpha over painting otherwise I leaves a halo on the transparent areas.. I sure there is probably another workaround for this.

probably missed something but that is the gist of it.

hope that is a help.

Brenton

roguenroll
12-11-2005, 01:44 AM
post the animation, if you have it. It would be cool to see.

adam
12-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Nice job Brenton.. and it's interesting to see your patch/projection layout.
As far as I can tell this camera move could also be accomplished with 3d layers
in After Effects, is that right?

The shot looks great man!
-AH

Manger
12-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks a lot Brenton!

bcottman
12-11-2005, 01:51 PM
I added a link above to the animation. Its pretty poorly compressed but you can see the basic movement of the painting.

adam, there is actually a lot of movement on the ground plane and hills so layers wouldnt really be adaquate. At least not for the foreground, from the castle back is primarily cards though and worked fine. just as a preference I prefer to even do cards in 3D rather than in composite. as a side note, Nuke has a very strong 3D workflow that allows you to project directly onto geo within the composite and skip rendering, Its pretty nice but I haven't had much time to push it much. This was done with Maya and AE.

I think there were about 3 or so painted patches to cover exposed areas and such. The second view in the link is just to show the scene and wasn't a projection. There was a bit of stretching on the ground plane that I should have corrected but i figured I could get away with.
With more time I would have developed it a bit more with cards for the trees and more geometry for the houses and such.

Manger
12-13-2005, 06:57 AM
But why there aren't video-tutorials for this technique? It wouldnt just help the "users" but also the popularity of the person who made it...

For example Ryan W. with his video tutorial for lightsabers.. well at least in tfn (theforce.net) they all know him because of that

LFGabel
12-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Brenton, do you use the layered texture shader in Maya to cover up the holes? If so, any tips? I tried doing this and got no useable results so I must have missed a step. The procedure sounds simple enough in the manual.