PDA

View Full Version : American House(s) Photoshop Project

stevenbray1
10-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Since I got some really helpful feedback on the castle I posted, I thought I'd post another Photoshop project. As before it's from an image found online and enlarged, although I kept this one at regular TV resolution (ish) not HD.

Before;

http://www.stevenbray1.com/american-house-before.jpg

After;

http://stevenbray1.com/american-house-after.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

AliK
10-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Although making photo realistic matte painting is a main factor of this work,
I suggest adding kind of color mood to make the result more interesting.
Even a simple “photo filter” in Photoshop can do the trick.
(and a little level adjustment)

Good work

stevenbray1
10-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks AliK. Yes I'm going to go for "moodier" stuff, at the moment I'm just trying to get back into image-editing. It's been a while since I used Photoshop this way (about 2 years).

As Yoda says, I must "unlearn" a lot of bad habits I've picked up.

And on that embarrasingly geeky note... (makes a quiet exit)

Sally
10-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi steven,

It looks good. One thing though,
the left open cellar door, the shadows you put there doesn't feel right. because all the other shadows are quite sharp, but this one is blurry.

homer
10-15-2004, 12:30 PM
It looks seamless and the perspective looks well done.
You should have post the “after image only” and ask for people to
guess which part is matte painting?

Janine
10-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Clean work. :) The only two things that give it away are the diffuse shadow in the cellar entrance on the left and the chimneys, they look a bit too cloned. I think the cellar entrance could be a lot darker, that would probably help already.

But apart from that - very convincing! If you tweak those two things, I probably wouldn't be able to tell which parts you added. ;)

Janine

alasdair-m
10-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi Steven nice to see you posting, this looks very good, the only thing I can suggest other than what has been said already is the white limey markings running down the brickwork under the lower windows, it's the same for each window, but really good, at first glance I couldn't spot anything. Well done Cheers :D

stevenbray1
10-16-2004, 01:20 AM
Those damn*d limeys eh? There's a bunch of things I can see that repeat, the more I look at it the more appear. That's why I posted it, to see what fresh eyes :shock: might notice?

Yes, the cellar was a last minute addition and like most such things, was 10mins from being just right! I should've waited.

So many MPC alumni here? Maybe they should sponsor the site? :idea:

cinemacell
10-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Looks good!

I know what it feels like when you're getting back on the saddle.

Well done.

Look forward to your future mattes.